Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Being this is your first post I say :welcome: to the .org

Alot of riders on here with a wealth of knowledge. Someone out there may have a few ideas but more info is needed.

Year, Make, & Model
Mods Done
.... and maybe clarify if its a drip or a puddle.

I'm sure given the right info you"ll get some assistance.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry, i have a 96 cbr 900rr with no mods just a slip on pipe . i think the bike was used for stunt riding bike runs great other than it dripping oil from under the exhaust pipes

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
96 cbr 900rr oil leak under exhaust pipe

just got the bike runs good other than it leaking oil out of a small hole under the exhaust pipe what do i do to fix it HELP!

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Re: 96 cbr 900rr oil leak under exhaust pipe

just got the bike runs good other than it leaking oil out of a small hole under the exhaust pipe what do i do to fix it HELP!
Well, we can't offer much advise until we know where it is and how big it is.
Clean the bottom of the engine then let the bike idle up to operating temp until you can see the oil begin leaking.
If it's a gasket then replace the gasket. If it's leaking through the sump itself then remove and weld or replace the sump.
Pictures would probably be helpful.

·
Registered
457 Posts
have you wiped it all off to see where its coming from? Maybe with some engine degreaser to get it all cleaned up. Then start it and watch closely. Make sure you remove the side farings from the entire lower section of the bike.

If an oil change was done recently and the crush washer not replaced with a new one then it could be a possible solution. I made that mistake once myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

their is one hole under each exhaust port on the head. the hole looks to be about the size of a BB oil only comes out when the bike is running , to much to ride it for to long

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts

their is one hole under each exhaust port on the head. the hole looks to be about the size of a BB oil only comes out when the bike is running , to much to ride it for to long
Okay, those are not oil leaks.
They are merely fluid drains to the spark plugs.
Any fluid that gets onto the top of the engine will run out of there.
If oil is coming out then you most likely have a leaking valve cover gasket or the valve clearances were checked recently and some oil was spilled then.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

ok! well the bike was used for stunting and i was not sure i thought it was really messed up. ill check it and get back with ya . thank you very much!

·
Registered
4 Posts

I'm having the same problem with my 2006 CBR1000rr so how would I get it to stop leaking? just run the bike until it stops? would this cause any other problems?

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts

I'm having the same problem with my 2006 CBR1000rr so how would I get it to stop leaking? just run the bike until it stops? would this cause any other problems?
You should clarify whether oil is actually leaking FROM the exhaust pipe or from a crankcase leak above and is dripping down to the exhaust pipe (presumably around the collector box area). Given that the 07 is an underseat exhaust model, you might also notice any condensation which might appear as oil dripping from a loose header to tail pipe clamp.

Ideally, we would need further info and perhaps a couple of pics to offer a definitive response.:smile

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
I can'#t exactly work out the location, but it looks to be coming from the crankcase. I just can't see how you'd have clean oil coming from the exhaust pipe. I have an 04 model, but can't look underneath now as it's garaged in the dark. I'll have a further look in the morning and report back.

It's worth mentioning there shouldn't be a hole in the exhaust, unless your model has one for draining condensation. As a worst-case scenario, you might have a shot valve seal or piston ring and THAT will force oil into the exhaust pipe, but generally not to the same degree of flow seen on your video.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So its a tiny hole that's under the exhaust. The hole looks like it should be there it's under every exhaust pipe like a drain for condensation which my guess is for the spark plugs? I did my valve check recently and have had this oil issue since. So i replaced the head cover gasket and when I went back in to replace it i had a little oil on the ignition coil which shouldn't be there and pointed towards replacing the gasket. Now that the gasket is replaced the amount of leakage is noticeably less. I'm just wondering if I should go back in and take the spark plugs out and wipe down or if it will just burn off or if the remainder of the oil will leak out as I ride. Or if I'm completely wrong and there is another possible issue?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts