Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. When I check my oil in the morning it's at the max line but when I run the bike to normal temp then check the oil after a few mins it's just over the minimum mark,if I top it up it will then be well over the Max line when its cold.
Or should I leave it 15mins to make sure more oil has drained into the sump?

Thanks

·
Registered
752 Posts
It shouldn't take more than a few minutes for the oil to settle after you shut it off. You would think that the oil might be higher after it has warmed up and expanded a little. Are you checking the level the same at all times upright on a level surface? Check it every five minutes after you take you're next ride and see what the readings are. Maybe there is a restricted oil passage inside somewhere? Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Be sure to use the procedure recommended by Honda for oil level chek as oil level is highly dependant on several factors: engine temperature, correct upright position of bike and time from engine is cut off to doing the measurement. The procedure is in the Owners Handbook.

I have a CBR1000RR08 and have written this DIY where you can see the procedure for that model: Oil Service - CBR1000RR DIY

:) ... Fred

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi yes the manual tells me to warm it up to normal temp then turn it off and wait a few mins and take a reading,that's when it's near the bottom.
But if spoke to a few mechanics and they tell me a few mins isn't enough time to allow the oil to drain back down? And best to check the oil in the morning or 15mins after the engines turned of.
Surely the book must be correct?

I haven't been out to try takings reading lately though

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Why should oil level not be taken when it's cold?

So aslong as its between the lines after shutting engine off for a few mins is ok even if the oil has totally filled the sight glass above max line by the next morning? Like this video off a cbr600? U can see the oil is over the Max line when it's cold

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bogoe-buH_A

I'm new to bikes so don't know to much haha

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
I've learned to follow exactly what the Honda service manual says to do for your specific model of bike.
You don't have any additives in the engine oil do you? I was just thinking that might possibly render an inaccurate reading.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, not that I know off, I haven't long had the bike.ive ordered some motoul 7100 oil so I'm going to change it soon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts