Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, after a new oil change...the light stays on till 2k rpms. At idle...around 1300, it stays on.

Not to mention there being a knock coming from the engine. Could it be perhaps the oil pump is giving out?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
How much oil is in the bike?
Did you change the filter?
It sounds like someone ran the engine with no oil in it, then added oil only after the engine started making noise.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
sounds like a bad filter. you DID use OEM :eek: right?

·
Registered
768 Posts
I wonder, if the engine had been run without oil, and some bearings got fried, would that open up so much clearance that the oil pump can't maintain the correct amount of pressure? I sure hope not. :idunno:

Did you have a shop do the change? Out of curiosity, how many miles are on it? I know that many have done huge numbers of miles without any oil problems.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The oil level has been the same with every oil change i've done. It doesn't take much for an oil change.

I've been using the factory oil filter. Honda from the dealer. The oil light was on before I did my oil change, but the knocking haddn't come since I changed it. It's noticable that you can hear it, just not TOO loud.

I thought perhaps the bearings are fried. It has 20k miles of commuting and some playing. (Wheelies, Drag racing) Im about to pull off the clutch cover to check my oil pump.

Though the noise sounds like it's from the top end (valvetrain) i'm still curious.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sirkbac said:
How much is not much? Mine takes 1 gallon of oil every oil change.
I meant labor wise. It's been taking about 4 quarts. Possibly a little more. Never more than 4.5qts.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What ticks me off, is this happening only under a load. (The knock/clatter)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts