Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to replace the oil pan on my 929, and I would like to know if it requires a gasket when it is replaced?

Thanks

·
Registered
276 Posts
um here

·
Registered
276 Posts
one thing i don't see is a tourqe value for pan bolts

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
If you're talking about the little sign that says 'seal', they mean sealant. That's weird they don't have a gasket.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
I just grabbed my 954 manual, and it says the same thing.
It does list generic torque values in the front section.
5mm head = 3.6 lb-ft
6mm head = 7 lb-ft
8mm head = 16 lb-ft
10mm head = 25 lb-ft
12mm head = 40 lb-ft
I'd bet they're 8mm.

·
Registered
276 Posts
jbird i would. if you have a gasket that came of and didn't tear go for it i always use gasket rather than gasket maker when ever possible.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, I'm getting confused here. Does the oil pan have a gasket or not? When I ordered it from Ron Ayers they did not list a gasket as a part for the oil pan.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I haven't had a chance to look at the manual myself, but the page above looks authentic (no gasket). As strange as it may seem, just because a gasket is used on an assembly line during assembly to minimize time spent, it may not necessarily be needed in a replacement, where a mechanic has the time to run a bead of permatex (or whatever)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I just checked out both the service manual and the parts catalog. Parts catalog does not show any kind of oil pan gasket, and service manual says to use Three Bond 1207B or equivalent.

·
Registered
59 Posts
chances are, theres no gasket, most of the hard parts on bikes, case halves, etc etc, a gasket would have to be set at a very precise thickness, and over time, would probably deteriorate, causing clearance issues, so mfgr's just machine the gasket surfaces, and use an anaerobic sealer (stuff that sets up without the presence of oxygen) if you wind up happening to use this stuff.. it doesnt take much at all... the more you use, the more that gets squeezed out when the bolts are torqued down, if it squeezes out to the outside... thats ok... but when you start getting globs of that shtuff inside the engine case, you will run into problems. it can come loose and plug up the oil pickup... then you're in a world of $hit... a very thin coating is all that is required.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts