Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2001 929 and after the bike warms up at idle the low pressure light stays on. as soon as i give it some throttle it goes away. i have heard many theories such as the sensor going bad, too much oil, not enough oil (i just did oil change level is fine), pcv lines clogged (it only started 1300miles ago when i did an oil change). i bought the bike used and have put only about 3k mi since march. i used honda oil and filter the first time and this time i used repsol and a different brand filter thinking it may have been the oil since it only started after the first oil change. it seems to be worse when its super hot out so i would like t believe its just getting a little thin from the temp. the bike does not make any odd noise or smoke. anyone have any suggestions? thanks.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
i have a 2001 929 and after the bike warms up at idle the low pressure light stays on. as soon as i give it some throttle it goes away. i have heard many theories such as the sensor going bad, too much oil, not enough oil (i just did oil change level is fine), pcv lines clogged (it only started 1300miles ago when i did an oil change). i bought the bike used and have put only about 3k mi since march. i used honda oil and filter the first time and this time i used repsol and a different brand filter thinking it may have been the oil since it only started after the first oil change. it seems to be worse when its super hot out so i would like t believe its just getting a little thin from the temp. the bike does not make any odd noise or smoke. anyone have any suggestions? thanks.

Is your idle speed too low?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
No the idle is 1200. The light goes out at about 1700
I would suggest an oil pressure test then.
Perhaps the pressure switch is faulty.
Did you run the engine at all while the engine was dry when you did that first oil change?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so took the sensor off and put a drag specialties gauge on. Reads 0psi at idle and jumps up to 10 at 2k rpm. Does anyone know what psi should be?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Ok so took the sensor off and put a drag specialties gauge on. Reads 0psi at idle and jumps up to 10 at 2k rpm. Does anyone know what psi should be?
You have a problem.
Spec is 71psi at 5000rpm at 80C.
I'd want at least 40-50psi at idle.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Wow. Any suggestions on where to start looking? I never had a problem till I did my first oil change.

I think you said you did around 1700 miles before you changed the oil the first time and the oil light never came on before then?
How _exactly_ did you go about the oil change?
Since it's been running fine for 1300 miles with this "problem" I think it's probably safe to say it's not catastrophic, at least not yet.
Have you confirmed your fuel pressure regulator is not bypassing fuel straight into the cylinders?
Does your oil smell of fuel?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All I did was drain the old oil, waited for it to start dripping then put the plug back in and changed the filter with a honda one. Used honda gold 10w40 3.9qts per owners manual. The light didn't bother me at first since owners manual says light may flicker at idle, but since I bought the bike used I have no idea what it went through before me. Oil didn't smell like gas the fist time or this last time, and still getting around same miles per tank as always. 40-50psi at idle seems a bit high though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a same problem with my friend's 900RR. Oil pressure flashes at idle, stops around 1500-1600rpm. Same year, 2001. It has ~23k miles (maybe real or not. we don't know).
Did you find solution for the problem when you had the bike?

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
This is a 7 year old thread :deal: You might not get a response.

Do 929s have "low oil pressure lights" or just digital icons like the 954s?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts