Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally started riding my 929 again after a full rebuild. This weekend I put fresh oil after an easy break-in period and today I noticed that the oil level was well over the limit, even though I put only 4 quarts in it.

When I put it back together I did not install a new O-ring on the oil pressure relief valve as the manual suggests, and the valve was sort of just loosely held in there, hoping that the oil pan would hold it in place. Would this cause all the oil to drain into the pan after sitting for a few days?

When I first started it up after changing the oil, I had low pressure for a few seconds. I didn't even try today. I'm afraid of ruining all those bearings I worked so hard to replace!

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I finally started riding my 929 again after a full rebuild. This weekend I put fresh oil after an easy break-in period and today I noticed that the oil level was well over the limit, even though I put only 4 quarts in it.

When I put it back together I did not install a new O-ring on the oil pressure relief valve as the manual suggests, and the valve was sort of just loosely held in there, hoping that the oil pan would hold it in place. Would this cause all the oil to drain into the pan after sitting for a few days?

When I first started it up after changing the oil, I had low pressure for a few seconds. I didn't even try today. I'm afraid of ruining all those bearings I worked so hard to replace!

Any help is appreciated.
If you mean (eng. lite stayed on for a second or 2).....low oil pressure,
it will happen when you change oil & filter.
I'd drain the oil,drop the pan & put a new seal in...I don't think it should be loose.The oil always drains to the pan. Oil level should be in-between the lines on the oil window.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts

Any help is appreciated.

Did the oil smell of fuel?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks 1ccwit, that makes sense since the filter is dry. I didn't think of that. But I'm still a bit worried about the relief valve. It wasn't loose in that it could move back and forth, but if I left it there without the pan it would drop out half way or more almost to the ground sometimes.

Bladeracer, the oil did not smell of fuel. I installed new rings so I hope that wouldn't cause a problem! What else might cause that?

I guess I will replace the O-ring for peace of mind, I was hoping I didn't have to since it's such a PITA to get to. Not to mention trying to find one of those silly little O-rings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts