Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hearing different stories from various sources. I am using a semi-synthetic oil.

Any advice?

Cheers,

Keith.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
go full get the best stuff. just wait a bit till the rings seat in before going full synth. i think it is like 2 to 3 k (us miles) before it is recomended. I use mobile 1 car stuff without the energy symbol. doesn't make the clutch slip, and cheaper than moto full synth. I use mine at the track all the time and abuse the clutch alot and no slip, but you'll find folks that swear tha car oil does make it slip (bullshit).

cheers

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm hearing different stories from various sources. I am using a semi-synthetic oil.

Any advice?

Cheers,

Keith.
300V over here, cant feel the difference but really fast guys love it. cheers s.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
go full get the best stuff. just wait a bit till the rings seat in before going full synth. i think it is like 2 to 3 k (us miles) before it is recomended. I use mobile 1 car stuff without the energy symbol. doesn't make the clutch slip, and cheaper than moto full synth. I use mine at the track all the time and abuse the clutch alot and no slip, but you'll find folks that swear tha car oil does make it slip (bullshit).

cheers
Does this apply to all 'Blades then..or all bikes in general. There's nothing in the owners manual about what kind of oil to use, only the type of viscosity you should be using.
I'm at 4000miles now...

·
Registered
723 Posts
go full get the best stuff. just wait a bit till the rings seat in before going full synth.

There's absolutely no reason to do this. This is old information.

I've talked with multiple Synthetic oil manufacturers and they've all admitted that there's no reason to do this. Heck; Porsche and the Vette are factory filled with Synthetic.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's absolutely no reason to do this. This is old information.

I've talked with multiple Synthetic oil manufacturers and they've all admitted that there's no reason to do this. Heck; Porsche and the Vette are factory filled with Synthetic.
THis is from Honda UK:

Thank you for your enquiry to Honda UK. The Oil should be 10 W 30 or 10 W 40 semi-synthetic.

Fully synthetic oil should not be used on any modern bike (not just
Honda) until it has covered 5000 to 10,000 miles. If you want to know the
technical reason, look at the August 2004 T.W.O magazine, page 73. This
information is from the Castrol Technology Centre who, apparently, are the
highest authority on this type of thing.

THats good enough for me, think I'll stick with semi until I get some more miles on the clock.

:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
The whole synthetic v. non-synthetic and car oil v. moto oil debate is based on clutch slippage and viscosity breakdown.

Clutch slippage was due to a friction reducing additive found in "fully" synthetic car oils. This is great for a car but since your clutch is sitting in oil and needs plenty of friction, it's bad for a 'blade. Because of this, the bike manufactures have been claiming that non-motorcycle specific "fully" synthetics are going to kill your clutch. (Also to note, there are only a few full synthetics. The oils you see that say FULL SYNTHETIC, are lying to you.)

The truth is that car oils a better than most motorcycle oils. (minus the high dollar ones) Synthetics are better than non-synthetics. And, unless you want to spend $40+ every oil change, you won't lose much at all from not buying the best oil. (rules of thumb)

I run mobile 1 "full" synthetic. It's cheap-ish, works great, and easy to get. There is my input. My sources:

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/44132-synthetic-semi-synthetic-oil-for-929rr.html?highlight=oil+synthetic

Motorcycle Oils vs. Automotive Oils

·
Registered
93 Posts
Amsoil 10W-40 Motorcycle Oil is what I run. I use their oil in everything I own, I even do 25,000 mile oil changes in my subaru with their new EaO oil filter, I send in a sample of my oil to a testing company every 7,500 miles and it always tests out fine.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
T

·
Registered
723 Posts
THis is from Honda UK:

Thank you for your enquiry to Honda UK. The Oil should be 10 W 30 or 10 W 40 semi-synthetic.

Fully synthetic oil should not be used on any modern bike (not just
Honda) until it has covered 5000 to 10,000 miles. If you want to know the
technical reason, look at the August 2004 T.W.O magazine, page 73. This
information is from the Castrol Technology Centre who, apparently, are the
highest authority on this type of thing.

THats good enough for me, think I'll stick with semi until I get some more miles on the clock.

:)

Really?

Got my info from Exxon/Mobil, Staveley Services (they do chemical analysis of used oil), Chevron, Kendall and AmsOil... I'll trust them.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts