Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
What's that spell?

VORTEX

Clutch slippage was due to a friction reducing additive found in "fully" synthetic car oils. http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/oil.html

not sure where you got that info but its wrong. the clutch slippage has nothing to do with synthetic vs non-synthetic. it has to do with energy conserving. if you want to use car oil just make sure it isn't one that says "energy conserving" on it. Specifically you're looking to avoid molybendum (I am thinking of the right chemical right? I know it starts with moly)

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Give me until after this weekend and I will have some used cooking oil from the deep-fryer used in frying fish. That should do just fine for ya.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Regular mobil one or the motorcycle specific stuff?
If you're asking me, I use regular Mobil 1 5w-50. Normal price is around A$65, but I usually wait until one outlet or another has a sale when I can get it for around $A50 for 5 litres.

Cheers, Spanky.

·
Registered
552 Posts
i run spectrol golden semi synthetic oil in all my bikes but a good friend of mine owns a small bike shop and is a spectrol dealer so i get a deal on it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
castrol R4 5W-40. worth every penny for my investment. cheap insurance in my opinion. get it on sale for $6.50 a liter, otherwise it's $10. actually makes the bike shift better, and have noticed no slipage whatsoever.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A good synthetic makes a difference in my experience. Quieter operation and slight improvement in gas mileage.

I've used Honda HP4, Golden Spectro 4, Castrol GPS and am just now switching over to Shell Rotella 5-40. Available at Wal-Mart for less than $15 per gallon, from what I've read it appears to be more resistant to acidification than most other oils and is safe for wet clutch use.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I can't believe we just had another oil thread...

vortex indeed.

I mean, just look at all the similar threads below...

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
So could someone safely drink a true ester-based synthetic?

Would it taste like a banana daquiri?

21 - 40 of 52 Posts