Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
14,390 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
A good synthetic makes a difference in my experience. Quieter operation and slight improvement in gas mileage.
Yup, that seems to be one thing everyone (or most) agree on: quieter operation.

When I bought my 919, it had some Putoline, not sure of what kind. In my hands, I have been using Motul 7100 fully synthetic:

Changing gears is a very smooth affair, as compared to before (Honda gearboxes seem to be noisy by nature), the running of the engine (already naturally smooth from the factory) is even smoother.

In regards to the brands, mechanics are always recommending what they sell. But I do know one who seems to be brand-neutral.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
WOW! Bringing a 14-year old thread back to life!!

I always used semi-synth but change it every 4,000miles, normally Motul or Silkolene Comp 4, as long as it is SG rated or above, which a semi-synth probably will be. Not sure what I will do with the 1000rr, whether its worth getting that dealer stamp to say its been done by the book, or DIY.....

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
WOW! Bringing a 14-year old thread back to life!!

. . . Not sure what I will do with the 1000rr, whether its worth getting that dealer stamp to say its been done by the book, or DIY.....
Yeah, it's usually bots that resurrect the old threads, but not usually with pics!

I share your conundrum with the service book stamp for basic oil and filter changes. For my good bikes, I prefer to pay extra for the stamp, as I did with my 2018 Blade. For later re-sale, I firmly believe dealer stamps not necessarily add value to our bikes, but it does increase the purchaser confidence which results in a quicker and easier sale. For ourselves, it might just be an OCD or pride factor in keeping the original books completed.

For the older bikes (FireStorm etc) without records, I merely do it myself and note in a log. Some of you will know that I am quite organised; here's an example:love::

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, it's usually bots that resurrect the old threads, but not usually with pics!
hahahaha No bot here. :) Just a tardy ´Blade runner. Tutti-frutti ´Blade

The gentleman at my local Honda dealer (knows my ´Blade, for he was the one who sold it new to the previous owner), when I mentioned I used Motul 7100 synthetic, he said it was a very good oil. So, I think it is not doing harm to the 919.

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Nothing wrong with Motul. I used it a couple of weeks ago in my Pan European.

And you're right about dealer preferences. My Honda dealer uses Castrol Power 1 Racing which I don't mind, whereas a local independent where I have minor servicing and roadworthy checks uses Motorex which is damn expensive. I'll generally by oils online for my DIY jobs.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Motorcycle oils are a funny thing. You want low friction for the engine but you want friction in the clutch plates. Always stay away from oils that have friction inhibitors, they'll make your clutch slip.

A full synthetic will maintain viscosity as it breaks down better than conventional or semi-synth. It also has finer particle size so it can get in places conventional can't. This is why people think synthetic can cause leaks. It doesn't cause them, it just points them out.

I change my oil regularly but I'll still only use full synthetic. It's a far superior product for a marginally higher price.

I know many people who run shell rotella t6 in their bikes and I've started trying it myself. It's far cheaper than any motorcycle specific oil but a very high quality full synthetic. It's the diesel industry standard oil used in the harshest of conditions. The only down side is weight availability. There's 5 and 15w-40 but no 10. I guess it's 15 for the summer and 5 for the spring and fall.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts