Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I own a 2006 Fireblade. It's in good nick with 18000 miles on it. Three days ago I changed the oil and oil filter.

Today I parked it on an uphill road and suddenly a warning light appeared on the left side of the screen. The engine was hot showing 103 grad celsius. I waited for a while for the engine to cool down and checked the oil level and it was ok. Then I started the engine and the warning light disappeared. I rode home. Stopped the engine and it flashed again.

Has anyone got a clue or has some of you exprienced the same problem? Should I take it to the service? I need help...

·
Registered
900 Posts
Tell me you didnt fit a patten oil filter......if you did it could be a bad one, there is the off chance the oil pressure gauge is faulty, but with the increase in temp there must be a prob, get the bike level, dead straight and check again, if all ok change filter as there may be a blockage, if its not that then you might have a prob with the oil pump, but as it only started when you changed the oil and filter thats were i would start. For the price of the filter i would not take the chance of coursing damage to the engine

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry but I dont understand what you mean with a patten oil filter. I used a direct replacement filter from the filter manufacturer FRAM. And I checked the oil level several times. There was no oil missing. It shows full, in line with the upper limit. After it happened for the first time I starded the engine again an the light faded. On the way home I checked the engine temp. and the tacho. Everthing was ok. When I came home I turned the engine off and the warning light came on again.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
103 Degrees C doesn't sound high at all, my 954RR goes up to about 102 and then the fans kick in (the VFR goes up to about 104/5 Degrees C)

Are you sure it's your oil light? The light should be on when you start the bike also.

Any pictures?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Pattern means a cheap replacement, like the honda part but not always to the same quality. Now to clear things up when you refill the oil and start the bike for the first time the oil light will come on at first , as the filter fills with oil the light will flicker and go out, when the bike cools recheck level as some of it will have gone to the filter. you said the bike was on a hill, if it was steep enough it will put on the low oil level light if it was steep enough!, lastly you now say when you turned engine off the light came on, if the engine is not running then the light will come on, just get it on a level ground run her and check, if all ok just keep an eye on the temp and lights for the next 20-30 miles, if you still get light it could still be a faulty filter(its not unheard of) so change that first.If you still get a light after that you will need to do a bit more research. hope that helps....Rick

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's on the left side. I just went down and checked it again. When I turn the key on it appears on the dash but as soon as I start the engine it disappears. Perhaps I am worring without a reason.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Right when you turn the ignition on, does the light come on after a small period of time (solid?) and turn off once the engine is started (near enough straight away)?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lastly you now say when you turned engine off the light came on, if the engine is not running then the light will come on.

hope that helps....Rick
Thanks for the quick reply. As I said it appears when the engine is not running and goes off when the engine starts. Hope I dont need to worry then...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I feel like a jerk. The warning light I mention is not on the left:beatup: it s far on the lright side of the digital dash. It's solid when I turn the key and goes off as soon as I start the engine. The reason of my panic is that I saw it for the firts time today. I'm new to the Blades. I bought it just a few days ago.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Result.....it happens the first time the warning light came on mine i thought it was oil , till i noticed the FI light. Thats what i love about this forum..you live and learn and everyone helps you along the way........

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Glad you've found the problem :D

Have you guys got HISS over there? (Honda Ignition Security System)?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks mate.

So you say I need to get used to see that littha grease cup more often :)

Yep we have HISS.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just asked a local Honda dealer how much a spare key for with HISS validation costs :)It costs about 40 Pounds. I think I will get a spare one. Thanks for the advice Twincam.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts