Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Does it matter what oil I run in my 94CB1K? I'm new to riding, just don't want to do any damage. I'm just not sure if I can put in car oil etc....

·
Registered
355 Posts
Do not use car oil. It contains Moly and will damage your clutch. Also, if synthetic oil has been run in the bike, it is not wise to go back to petroleum based oil.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SO, If I don't know if it's ever had synthetic in it, should I run that just in case? I just bought the bike and would know what the previous owners ran.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The best thing would be to call the previous owner and ask what he has been running. There is a risk of switching to synthetic on high mileage engines. Varnish develops over time inside the engine when using petroleum based oils. Running synthetics tend to dissolve the varnish. This can cause oil leaks.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Wow. Most folks move to synthetic oil these days. Likely the previous owner did as well. I would suggest going to synthetic. There are several threads on this site discussion which oil to use. There are several opinions out there. I have been using Repsol.

·
Registered
74 Posts
:plus1: on going with the synthetic as it is better to switch and be right then to go back to petroleum based and be wrong...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I guess there would be no easy way to test what's in there now? Probably not worth the time, I just don't want to screw up my machine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts