Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:crap: i consider myself a fairly intelligent person but tonight i was sitting down and helping my girlfriends daughter with her 4th grade homework and i feel incredibly stupid, i cannot make heads or tails of this worksheet ? are kids really getting this smart these days and me getting dumber ? this makes no sense to me at all nor can she figure it out... take a gander at the attachment...

Attachments

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: ok so im a college grad and this is 4th grade whats the problem ??? please help....

:idunno: :huh: uhh uhh nope, thats about all there is too it... ok so its not just us then...

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: ok so im a college grad and this is 4th grade whats the problem ??? please help....

:clap:
i thought between all of us older assorted profession people we could figure this out but........ this is nuts.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts

:confused: just fill out the grid it is a story question. There are 7 tribes and 7 housing options. Every statement but the last is conditional so it is likely the lynchpin information. Find the first conflict and it will fall together.

·
Registered
469 Posts

That's pretty badly done. It doesn't tell you whether you are supposed to treat these as exclusive or, or just "or" statements.

Anyhoo, start from point 4, then go back to point 1 and work your way through. If you take that only one tribe can live in any one kind of housing, they all fill up except for the Adobe Village. That would be my way to attack it. However, IF they are allowed to occupy the same kind of housing, then you can write up another set of results.

In any case, from the basic logic studies I've done, this teaches kids just about zero. Who's the fucken idiot who designed it? If they want to teach logic, teach them the correct way, ie, your truth tables, and if, then, else, or, exclusive or, NOR etc statements and work through it that way. Then it makes sense!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,657 Posts

That makes no sence...what does it show them? what ever happend to to doing normal stuff like lunch and sandbox time? :D

seriously in the the next couple of generations we are going to be stuck with a bunch of "book smart" weiners that will not go outside for fear of catching the latest pandemic...

that is for a grade 4 student:huh: seems like a bit much...and pretty poorly worded at that.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,773 Posts

ok this was the first time I've used my brain in a long time but I got it.

Kickapoo-wigwams
Apache-brush lodges
Navajo-Hogans
Iriquios-longhouses
Seminoles-Thatched huts
Sioux-tepees

edit: in the time it took me to figure that out 5 of your posted (tv was also distracting me a little) but there are definetly not enough directions. I just assumed that each can only live in one type of housing even though it didn't say it. I'm not really sure what to do with the grid thing, maybe a graph of some kind.

I also missed the pueblo, give me a couple minutes

·
Registered
3,203 Posts

I'm a college drop out...if this is hard, you need to hand your diploma back :rotfl::nono::idunno:

·
Registered
469 Posts

I'm with you G-Force. I'm pretty sure that's the answer they are looking for. The Pueblo is winner at the Adobe Village by default. Anyhoo, still a kinda odd question.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts

ok I looked it over again and I think you have to just give the Pueblo-Adobe Vilages simply from process of elimination. And since I already know that is true that has to be right.

so its

Kickapoo-wigwams
Apache-brush lodges
Navajo-Hogans
Iriquios-longhouses
Seminoles-Thatched huts
Sioux-tepees
Pueblo-Adobe Villages

I can explain the whole thing if you want

·
Registered
14,224 Posts

Agree if you assume that each dwelling type is limited to a single tribe and if you assume that either case set one or case set two is true (if this is the case the logic is improperly worded) then it is solvable. The creator of this should learn logic before teaching it though.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts

I'm with them fellers.

Not so hard man. :D

Reminds me of the LSAT...

·
Registered
14,390 Posts

BTW, I was given stuff like this as a youngster in school. It's pure logic, I used IF(F) (if and only if) and "OR", those are the two words you have to focus on in these logic problems.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts

CBR929RE said:
yeah its not too hard but it is missing directions
:huh:

Howzat?

·
Registered
12,773 Posts

luvtolean said:
:huh:

Howzat?
well it never says you can only use each one once, sure we assume that but a 4th grader might not. Shit I remember in high school there were a lot of people in my class that couldn't follow directions. and I didn't get what you were suppose to do with the grid but I guess thats just me cause once G-force used it I understood.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

well i guess i will buy your answers however i will be totally honest in saying i am still lost:huh:

i really dont see how a 4th grader is expected to do this given the facts and directions at hand being that most of us cannot get it....

hey conq, how about a homework help forum... the school year has just started, im sure all of us will be inthe same boat im in tonight...:O

1 - 20 of 37 Posts