Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on my bikes for about 30 years and i have never found a really good way of removing old gasket from the surfaces of the covers engines etc. I always have just scraped away with a scalpel. I have heard of something called 'Chisel' I think (many years ago) but never tried it.

Well now I have a few to do and decided to ask if anyone knows - What is the best way?

Cheers
Simon

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I have been working on my bikes for about 30 years and i have never found a really good way of removing old gasket from the surfaces of the covers engines etc. I always have just scraped away with a scalpel. I have heard of something called 'Chisel' I think (many years ago) but never tried it.

Well now I have a few to do and decided to ask if anyone knows - What is the best way?

Cheers
Simon

I'm the same, tried various methods but always end up doing it with elbow grease for the best results :)

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Depending on the surface, I've used a soft, low rpm wire-wheel mounted in a cut-off tool, or air grinder. If you have compressed air that is. Gotta be careful choosing the wire-wheel, some contain wire bristles that may be harder than the surface you're cleaning. For example, a stainless steel wire-wheel on anything aluminum = disaster. You also need to pay attention to the "rated" speed of the wire-wheel. If it's rated for 4500rpm max, and you put it in your 10,000rpm air grinder with no pressure regulator, then little wire staples will spin off and imbed in just about anything. You have to be really careful with this process, but it sure is fast. I mean really fast. :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
at my local auto parts store they have some stuff that is called gasket remover! and one of my friends told me that it can bubble off powder coat. so if i can get the name ill let u know!

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
at my local auto parts store they have some stuff that is called gasket remover! and one of my friends told me that it can bubble off powder coat. so if i can get the name ill let u know!

Definately interested.
I'm up to my armpits in an engine build as usual :)
Got a few days to clean everything up still before it's going back together.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts