Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have lots of photos etc I keep backed up on three hard drives. But they all sit in the same room, so if there is a flood or theft or whatever, I can lose all of that. It seems an online backup plan might be the way to go to keep all my data backed up. Anyone have experience with the ones currently out there or any suggestions? I have some 22,000 photos and over 40gb of mp3s so there is quite a bit to backup...

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
That is one of our core businesses, except we provide online data mirroring/replication for transactional data on an enterprise level.

Be advised, without a startup set on tape or similar large transfer format you won't have any internet for several days to transfer 40 GB. Even worse if you have async cable or DSL, as you are the server (uploads from your system).

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
If you backup to a hard drive and remove that hard drive from the computer and any power, it will survive a flood with no problem whatsoever.
You can also keep that hard drive off site in a safe deposit box, or buy a fire/waterproof safe and put it in there if you really feel the need.
A spare hard drive and DVDs are cheap. I ghost my hard drive every couple weeks to my backup drive and make a DVD pretty much daily of folders that get a lot of file change.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
If you backup to a hard drive and remove that hard drive from the computer and any power, it will survive a flood with no problem whatsoever.
You can also keep that hard drive off site in a safe deposit box, or buy a fire/waterproof safe and put it in there if you really feel the need.
A spare hard drive and DVDs are cheap. I ghost my hard drive every couple weeks to my backup drive and make a DVD pretty much daily of folders that get a lot of file change.
This is exactly what I do... an external HD backs up my stuff locally each night, but I also have one over at the bank in a safe deposit box.

I also make DVDs every few months of all my pictures and throw them in the big box I have with all my "real" pictures.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Get a 250GB external firewire drive or two is better. Dump stuff on the drive and bring it to a relative or some other location. Pick up the previous drive and bring it home. Next time you need a backup overwrite the previous drive and bring it to the other location and rotate. Not super expensive and you have backups (one being slightly older).

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been making full DVD backups and taking it to my parents house. But that is only a few times a year. Otherwise, I have an internal HD that I back up to regularly, and also a 250GB external that I do the same with. And I make DVD's to keep here quarterly.

Just a big PITA to keep carying a HD back and forth. I guess I could get a second one and keep it at work. Then flip them out every month or so...

I just didn't know what online backup would cost. I found one that you can store up to 50gb for like 6 bucks a month. But I have more like 150gb to back up... Just my photos is 55gb.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
I've been making full DVD backups and taking it to my parents house. But that is only a few times a year. Otherwise, I have an internal HD that I back up to regularly, and also a 250GB external that I do the same with. And I make DVD's to keep here quarterly.

Just a big PITA to keep carying a HD back and forth. I guess I could get a second one and keep it at work. Then flip them out every month or so...

I just didn't know what online backup would cost. I found one that you can store up to 50gb for like 6 bucks a month. But I have more like 150gb to back up... Just my photos is 55gb.
:rotfl:

Unless you send them DVDs to start, you can kiss your internet goodbye while uploading 150 GB . . .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts