Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on a place to get a snowboard online? And a basic board recommendation? This is for my brother (maybe) as gift and while I don't want to spend a fortune I want a decent all-hill board. He is mostly a green-blue boarder.

Thanks.

EDIT: Oops and length, he is about 5'9" ish

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I have a Burton Motion 163cm, with Burton bindings, used twice, if you're interested

edit: crap, just saw how tall he is, mine would be too long

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
SFO or The House

I bought my last 3 boards from the House and split everything else between the two. I have more links if you want.

Since you said all-mountain, I wouldn't go much smaller than 163 even for someone 5'9. If you're only going to get 2-3 trips per season and he will have to relearn his balance each season, you can probably go down to 160. Within the first 5 times boarding, the smaller board won't keep up with the learning curve (too slow, not enough float on deep powder). I'm also assuming that once he's comfortable on the board, you won't be staying on groomed trails all the time. I'm a little larger than he is but I learned on a 167 and ride 169, 170, and 171 wide boards now, depending on where I'm going and the expected trail/off piste conditions.

I'm also a speed addict and like jumping off 15-20' drops into waist deep powder.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
seamus said:
SFO or The House

I bought my last 3 boards from the House and split everything else between the two. I have more links if you want.

Since you said all-mountain, I wouldn't go much smaller than 163 even for someone 5'9. If you're only going to get 2-3 trips per season and he will have to relearn his balance each season, you can probably go down to 160. Within the first 5 times boarding, the smaller board won't keep up with the learning curve (too slow, not enough float on deep powder). I'm also assuming that once he's comfortable on the board, you won't be staying on groomed trails all the time. I'm a little larger than he is but I learned on a 167 and ride 169, 170, and 171 wide boards now, depending on where I'm going and the expected trail/off piste conditions.

I'm also a speed addict and like jumping off 15-20' drops into waist deep powder.
He is a year younger than me and a wimp :D just kidding on the wimp. As you are we can only go about once a year due to the travel needed. As for speed he would either have to pass me on my board or try to keep up to me on skis :evilaugh:

Thanks for the links

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
I love it when boarders get all mouthy and think they can beat me down a slope. :rotfl:
Much more enjoyable to just go to Alta.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
BDA116 said:
I love it when boarders get all mouthy and think they can beat me down a slope. :rotfl:
Much more enjoyable to just go to Alta.
I'd take you up on that challenge. Just for the fun of it.

Just looked up Alta on Google. Damn you, Alta. Extremist right wing, elitist ski types!! You should fit right in.:rotfl:

LET MY PEOPLE GO!!!

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
seamus said:
I'd take you up on that challenge. Just for the fun of it.

Just looked up Alta on Google. Damn you, Alta. Extremist right wing, elitist ski types!! You should fit right in.:rotfl:

LET MY PEOPLE GO!!!
Don't if he is at all decent skis are much faster. There are flats that I can accelerate on that boarder's come to a stop on.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
sheepofblue said:
Don't if he is at all decent skis are much faster. There are flats that I can accelerate on that boarder's come to a stop on.
It would still be a friendly wager. Just going up the lift and down the hill all day gets boring, gotta add some excitement somehow.

I try not to misunderestimate Bush supporters. We're a wily bunch. I'd definitely have to scout the run first to make sure he didn't shovel some snow and make flat spots (or pay illegal immigrants below minimum wages to do it for him) . No extreme right winger is going to play with a level field.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
If he's beginner / intermediate I'd put him on something like a 148-153. I'm a little over 5'9" and my Option 159 is probably a bit long.

Get him an Option cuz they're made in Canada.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
There are 2 schools of thought in snowboarding.

Long and short.

Long is faster, more stable, floats better in powder, and takes a bit more work to spin.

Short boards are great for halfpipes, spinning tricks but not as good in powder or on long fast runs.

Perosonally I rode a 160, and wanted a 165. I'm 6'.

Buy it cuz it's made in Canada? Get your Maple leaf tat colored in yet?

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
phobiaphobe said:
If he's beginner / intermediate I'd put him on something like a 148-153. I'm a little over 5'9" and my Option 159 is probably a bit long.

Get him an Option cuz they're made in Canada.
159? I bet it's got a mean pic of Holly Hobby doing a CAB 540 on it, doesn't it?

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Actually it's just plain navy blue. I still say shorter board for newer riders... easier to learn how to turn / carve. I still have trouble transitioning from heel to toe side.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Yeah, it has nothing to do with skiing elitism (other than skiing at Alta), it has to do with the fact that snowboards simply are not capable of the same speeds skis are, period. But yeah, a friendly wager would be fun. I'd even have time to count the money I won waiting for you at the bottom. :rasp:

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
phobiaphobe said:
Actually it's just plain navy blue. I still say shorter board for newer riders... easier to learn how to turn / carve. I still have trouble transitioning from heel to toe side.
He is not new just rusty. There is only Mentone in AL and the next closest is NC or Gatlinburg, TN I would class him as more a cruiser than a stunter though so I would think longer is better. Hmm I will have to see what mine is...

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
phobiaphobe said:
I still say shorter board for newer riders... easier to learn how to turn / carve. I still have trouble transitioning from heel to toe side.
I agree with that. I wouldn't put him on one of mine. 160-165 is the middle ground that should allow for any type of terrain, powder depth, and riding style. Then, if he decides to focus on one or another, he can buy a board that fits his type of riding.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
I'm a carver so I like my board long and stiff (as does my wife :D ). I'm 6' and about 180# and ride a Burton Factory Prime 6.7 and Alp 6.3. It all depends on the type of riding he'll most likely do. It's better to get two different boards specifically suited to a particular discipline than to compromise and get one board for all types of riding. :twocents:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts