Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding around last week running a few errands I founs myself approaching a roundabout here in Lanzarote just after a heavy downpour. My approach was slow as there was road works, and they had closed half of the roundabout. With just a touch on the brake I found myself on the floor within the blink of an eye !!! Within 3 feet of touching the brake I was on the floor. On getting to my feet I turned the ignition off and run/start and looked behind me to see what had tripped me up. There was gravel and dust on the approach to the roundabout which did'nt seem too apparent due to the weather condtions.
I am now in the process of claiming against the local council. By law in this country any RTA must be reported to the police (as most countries), to which the officer took photo's of the road and my bike.
2 days later the council had sent a road sweeper to the accident area and the road is now spotless....unlike my bike.
The main problem is not that the clutch cover took a bashing but one of the bolts into the sump has created a stress fracture about an inch long, which means another €175.00.
Hopefully the council will pay up otherwise my total repairs will be around €750.00 !! All because they did'nt clean up after thier lazy selves :thumbd: . As you can see by the pics the damage has hit many areas, mirror, indicator, front cowl, side cowl, rear cowl, rear brake, front brake lever, bar end weight and right side pegs,,,,,all in all I'm gutted as speed was definately not the factor here. I regard myself as a safe rider and that there is a time and place for speed. Moral of the story for me is too always expect the unexpected.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
By law in this country any RTA must be reported to the police (as most countries),
While this is true (here it's any accident causing any injury or more than $1000 of damage) I know of cases where riders have been charged with reckless driving simply because they crashed in gravel or similar. Reporting the road hazard to the Police in the hope of preventing others from crashing resulted in being charged for failing to ride with due care to the road conditions or something similar.

·
Registered
20,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats very true. I think in this case due to the road conditions and the fact no other person or property of any kind (except my own) was involved that the officer saw no problem . Mind you the Spanish police are a bit different to most parts of the world :smilebig: . Thanks for the post and I do agree with you, just think the law may be slightly diff out here as the police do not often prosecute but, they do take nice pics for you to give to your insurers!!!

·
Registered
20,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the post, already mapped out my next few months expenditure of REPAIRS !! nevermind it will soon be the talk of the town(so too speak) for all the right reasons again. Cheers lads :]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts