Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4. Does anybody here own one? If so, what are your thoughts on this truck.

I'd like to have a pickup for doing things around the house, and being able to move things or pick up things without having to borrow someone else's truck. I also don't want to buy a vehicle that I can't fit my wife and 2 sons in. That's why I like the quad cab. If only the bed were a foot longer, it would be perfect!

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I had a Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 for a couple of years.

The good:
Great ergonomics for a truck....seriously.
The convenience of 4 doors is great, and since the Dakota's doors open so wide, it works really well for hauling people or gear.

The bad:
I f-d up and bought one with a V6.
They should not even build a Quad with a V6. It labored to pull even my small bike trailer....especially in hills. It had an even tougher time an 18' runabout. I dropped the tranny pan at about 40k and found 'lots' of metal shavings....talked to some folks, pretty common. The drivetrain of this truck is just not up to snuff.
Dunno about the V8 version....

I considered buying a V8 Dakota Quad....because I really like the mid-size truck and as long as the drivetrain held up, it would do everything I needed. Ended up finding a leftover F150 Quad 4x4 that was discounted, so bought that instead.

Great truck, but I miss the ergos and convenience of the Dakota....until I have to tow up a hill, then all is forgotten.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I work for a Dodge dealer.That is a great truck,we don't see many problems,If any with that truck. Get the V-8 though. As far as the other guys tranny, They shoud be serviced at 30,000 miles. And it's also a different tranny than the V-6 has!
Any other questions you might have just PM me and I'll answer them!

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Actually at 40k it was the 2nd time the trans had been serviced. I did it early around 15-20k according to the accelerated schedule for towing etc....

Yes, the transmission is different on the V8, thats why I mentioned that I did not have any knowledge of the V8 version.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I do this, I am definitely getting the 4.7 liter V8. That is the only engine I am pricing with. The one I'm looking at has a sticker of $30,500. With a rebate of $3000 and dealer savings, the lowest offer I have for the Dakota is $5200 off sticker, no matter what the MSRP is. The truck also has an axle ratio of 3.92. This ups the towing capacity, but lowers the gas mileage a bit. I guess I'd rather have the truck able to handle towing a large boat in the event I get back into powerboating.

There is one other negative that I have heard about the Dakota. Friends and a neighbor of mine who had early build Dakotas had problems with ball joints. That, however, was rectified a couple years ago. My one friend has a 2000, and his brother has one from 1999. The 2000 had a completely different front end, and he has had no problems at all, nor has anyone he knows with late model trucks.

Has anyone here been pricing these? What kind of discounts have you been able to get?

Thanks!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah, and from now until the end of the month, you get the $3000 rebate AND 3.9% financing for 5 years.

What to do? What to do?

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Another 2 cents worth of drivel.....

If there is even a REMOTE possibility that you will tow a boat...then I would forget about the 4.7 V8....not enough umph. Maybe in a 2WD 2 Door pickup....but not a Quad 4X4.

I have a bud with the 4.7....it struggles with a boat almost as badly as my V6 did.

Get the 5.9 or look elsewhere.....just not worth the hassle of buying a new vehicle and then be shopping again because you want to tow a boat or camper.....ymmv...

Edit:
Be cautious of maker specs that use a lower rear ratio on an anemic motor to 'up' the towing capacity. It just means the engine is screaming around 4500-5000 to climb hills....and there's where you get the heat and trans wear.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Cubes rule...

My 5.4 gets better mileage towing than my V6 did.....also better mileage than my bud's 4.7 V8.....

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Test drive a Tundra yet? ok then, I forgive you

It will tow with a 6 or the 8 (8 is kewl tho) its still 'midsize' and better yet, doesent have soft tranny/driveline issues. Theres a reason for having the 70,000mi warranty, just like Hyundai has that 100k one, cuz you're gonna use it.

This comes from experience, drove a ram for work and handed it back in cause it had issues. Another coworker had a dakota (older one) and bought a new in 2k1, and got rid of it <1 year later for a soft tranny, and repeated injector issues(?). I dunno, I was debating a dodge, but IMO their name tells you how to handle them

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have a Durango 5.2 liter and call it the Durango-pig. It gets about 11mph city, and 17mph hwy. That really sucks. The rear brakes, which are anti-lock, are grabby and skid when under load. The dealer said it is just an adjustment, but the problem continues. It also pings under load using the recommended gas, which is 87 octane. This might be because I installed Platinum plugs. The power window control went out on the left side, and then the right side. The wheel lug nuts have snapped in 5 places on three wheels. Will I buy a dodge again, I can't say, but good luck to you.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
also make sure when you got to the 5.4L, get the supercharger version with it. it is ALOT of fun

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
But superchargers aren't allowed in Nascar...

·
Registered
929 Posts
I owned a 2001 Dakota R/T 5.9L xtended cab.  It had great power and was comfortable to drive, BUT - couldnt tow anything more than a jetski or light trailer, had to be taken in several times for a bad ECM chip that caused problems with the windows and security system...and the build quality is VERY subpar compared to other manufacturers.  The specs on the truck quoted a 4000lb towing capacity when actual towing capacity was 500lb.  Dodge issued an option of buyback or aftermarket dealer parts.  I opted for the buyback and ended up getting to drive the truck for almost a year AND make $1k off of it. Bottom line - avoid Dodge!  

If you are willing to spend $30k, go ahead and buy a F-150 or 250 club cab (since you are planning possible large load hauls).  My $0.02 worth.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, not a lot of good comments here. Almost all feedback I get locally is good. I'm still considering it, but I have to feel like I'm stealing it. I'm trying to find the best deals available.

The thing is, I'm not sure I will ever tow a boat with this truck. When I had my boat, I had it stored at Lake Wallenpaupack, so there was no need to tow it. I'm just trying to get the most versatile truck for what I may need it for. This truck does everything I need. I need to be able to carry my wife and two sons(1 with child seat). I need a decent size bed to do odd jobs around the house(mulch, fill, move wood,etc..), and to transport large items. I also want a vehicle that I can use for work in a pinch. I'm a rural mail carrier. I use my own vehicles to deliver mail. The Dakota has no obstructions, as in center console, that would prevent me from driving from the right side of the truck.

I have very odd needs in the vehicles I buy, because of what I do for a living. I'm probably the only guy here that has to worry about being able to drive a truck from the right side of the vehicle. Now you know what I'm up against. Full size trucks are too wide, because I can't drive the truck and reach out the window to deliver mail out of the right window! The Dakota isn't perfect for the job, but it would do the job for a few days until I could get another vehicle back on the road.

Yes, my life is very strange!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I didn't read the whole thing here but let me say this....

I LOVED MY DAKOTA!!!

AVOID THE 4.7 V8...... It's junk!  Possibly the worst motor Mopar has.  

I had a 98 Dakota V6 3.6 I think (been a while) and I loved it.  Towing was totally on par with the V8.  The V6 gave up only 20 lbs of torque to the V8 but had better milage.

I towed a Pontiac Sunfire Fully loaded on a dolly, with a fully loaded bed from Philly to Los Angeles and that damn truck just flew!  75 up mountains with the A/C going and never got hot.  I wish I still had the truck, but the little lady made me give it up for a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the POS 4.7l V8.... and I regret it every minute I drive that sloth of a motor.  

4.7 V8 is a pile of  

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
<thread hijack on>
Tigerblade, is that Edwards looking like a BBQ in your avatar? Where did you find the pic? That is scary just to look at.
<thread hijack off>

1 - 20 of 24 Posts