Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's really odd to ask questions concerning tire profiles on a car in the .org, but I have confidence in the members here to give me a correct answer unlike some other forums I frequent. Besides, there's gotta be a few car nuts in here :)Here goes...

Let's take a 2003 Mustang GT w/ stock 17x8' rims w/ 245/45-17s on them. I go out and buy a set of 19x8' rims w/ 245/35-19s. I was under the assumption that since the 245 (tire width) was identical, and the 45/35 profiles make the tires the same relative height overall, that the contact patch (rubber touching the road) would be the same. The only difference would be the sidewall height, making the 17s better straight line preformers, and the 19s better cornerers. Am I crazy?

Thx in advance

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Babbat :  Am I crazy?
Putting 19's w/35 series rubber on a car you assumedly want to terrorize public roads with @ high speed? probably...Id do 18'/40's at most, but thats just me, in the interest of rim preservation.
I do know NY has better roads (pavementwise) then Boston, so perhaps Im the one with the misconception.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I didnt check the link N2 gave you, but the 245 and the 45 or 35 are a combination of the tire aspect ratio.  Simply put - when either number is changed, you change the sidewall height and overall tire width.  Changing to the the 245/35 is going to give you a lower profile tire (shorter sidewall height, and also a wider tire).  If you were to increase the first number and leave the second alone, you would get a wider tire with a higher sidewall.  Changing the first number doesnt create as drastic of a change as the the second does.  

If you are planning chrome wheels with a 35 series, expect to get some dents and possible cracks on the streets of NY (unless they have been repaved without the public being told about it).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol, actually it was in reference to a thread over @ stangnet. I was thinking about 18' or 19' rims, but since I don't even have the car yet, it was more of me confirming my knowledge concerning contact patch. Thx again guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts