Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right, I think this rep system is in dire need of an update or just get rid of it.
(this forum needs an enema)
I've had reps (about 15 or so in the last 6 months) that don't count. I see them in my user cp, but they don't get credited to me because they originate from a member who's not a $paying $supporting $greenie member. They've been for posts that were actually informative and appreciated by the person they were meant for, but who happens not to be a greenie.
Then I get the occasional rep from a supporting member, i.e. a greenie, for a song in the 'what are you listening to now' thread, and it counts and is added to my total in my avatar.
Looks like the intent and purpose of rep's has become subverted.
Like a good ole boys club. :thumbd:
Am I on base here, or is my case an isolated one?

·
Registered
564 Posts
On point.

I would suggest like a "+1"ing system or something for posts because a revamp of the rep system could go either way.

With a +1 system it would help to give users and the viewing public a highlight on good information, voted upon by users.

Other forums I'm not a part of have this feature, it's pretty nice and helps come up on good info quickly.

:twocents:

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,552 Posts
I'm with you Jon. I've had the last 8 out of 10 reps come from newbs who have no rep, therefore their "rep" has no effect on my rating. It shows grey, which is neutral. I don't post a lot in other forums/topics here and this is the only online forum I'm a part of. I would like to see my rep actually equal my contributions. Whether the person is new or not. It's my rep, not theirs. I'm not trying to sound selfish but it seems it definitely could use revamping to those who constantly offer sound advice and speak from hands on real world experience. Especially having a goal # of rep to reach, a plateau so to speak, so when you reach it you can rep whoever you want as often as you want. Yes, some will gather rep far more quickly that way, but the person giving the rep has reached a point/tenure in the forum where they have earned that honor. And it would be up to that member to police themselves, or have the mods play a more involved role. I know Bladreacer is huge part of the Fireblade specific forum. Thats about it that I've seen in my 2 years here. The others?? Gone it seems. I have tunnel vision here, my expertise is very specific. Carbs, 900's, 600's, etc. I love original 900's, but I also love all Honda's. And I will provide good quality assistance whenever I can. That should get me rep, right?:rotfl:

I love giving my 2 cents when I can, and acknowledging others for good work. It definitely seems it could use a revamp. To get rid of it completely wouldnt be a good idea. There really would be no way to get a handle of who knows what and who others think is a contributing member, aside from being a Greenie. Seems the Greenie "contributing member" has gone by way of the K as well. Probably only a handful of those guys participating.

So in closing, revamp it don't delete it. IMHO :D

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Definitly seems like it could use a revamp of sorts. Also I don't like that it limits how often I can rep someone (telling me I need to spread the love). If you give good advice, I want to rep you for it. Some people give (good) advice more often than others and are a lot more active as well. I try to give advice only when I know what I'm talking about, which is not as often as I think... :D but don't get rid of it.
The +1 sounds like it could work.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First, thank you to all those who have repped my comments. Mucho appreciado!! I do see them!

This is what I mean. Only 2 of these ten reps counted. The rest - I dunno :idunno:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Odd, seems like I've repped you before Jon... Oversight if I haven't because I know you've had some really good advice.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lobsta, I'm pretty sure you did. It only lists the most recent ten before they drop off.
Thanks for the rep man!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I have seen anything from BR in awhile. He is really one of the most knowledgable guys on the site. I hope he wasn't actually scared off. It would surprise me that someone could actually affect him that much after he has been here as long as he has.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, ole blunt...
The mods neutralized his negative rep.
It'll be nice when he rotates of the list and I don't have to see his reminder anymore.
That ****ing guy...

I seriously doubt anybody scarred Bladeracer away.
He's seen guys like blunt before.
Remember v65?
I'm sure there were others before these two jokers.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Yeah, ole blunt...
The mods neutralized his negative rep.
It'll be nice when he rotates of the list and I don't have to see his reminder anymore.
That ****ing guy...

I seriously doubt anybody scarred Bladeracer away.
He's seen guys like blunt before.
Remember v65?
I'm sure there were others before these two jokers.
That's why I find it hard to believe he hasn't been on, I know he's dealt with guys like that before. All the forums have trolls.
This site is one of the better ones I've been on. Mostly pretty civil and helpful.
BR may be trying to rehab after his injury. I know racing season is starting soon and he was pretty broken up.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I was just joking about Blunt scaring him off. It's just a coincidence that the same time that Blunt was posting about 12 times a day BR goes away and I haven't seem much of him since.
He's probably busy reconstructing some awesome bike or his 954 has 180 hp to the wheels by now. :D

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Could be... Or he's bus rehabbing himself and his Gixxer for race season... They were pretty busted up last time I heard.

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
sounds like Ian... or should I say #1an needs a hug :leghump:

just playin' buddy :rotfl: I can see why reputation "scores" could use an update... not like we could get one, but how about a "split" system...?

another (snowmobiling) forum I frequent just upgraded to having a "LIKE" button on the post (similar to FB, I guess?)
...but having a TECHNICAL REP and a LIKE would be kinda neat :thumb:

that way, other members could judge whether someone is just a funny guy... or someone that contributes in a more mechanical/electrical fashion.

themz izz my two pennies :shades:

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,552 Posts
sounds like Ian... or should I say #1an needs a hug :leghump:

just playin' buddy :rotfl: I can see why reputation "scores" could use an update... not like we could get one, but how about a "split" system...?

another (snowmobiling) forum I frequent just upgraded to having a "LIKE" button on the post (similar to FB, I guess?)
...but having a TECHNICAL REP and a LIKE would be kinda neat :thumb:

that way, other members could judge whether someone is just a funny guy... or someone that contributes in a more mechanical/electrical fashion.

themz izz my two pennies :shades:
Revisiting this:

We have the "like" button now, and I'm just stating MY observation, but I think the "Rep" has gone by the wayside. Too easy to just "like" a post and be done with it.

I totally agree Casey when you say "contributes info" vs "funny post". I think they should be separate, but also now with the like option I can like every post from one user and there is no limit. How about ditching the limit on "spreading rep", or devising a new quantitative result of adding a certain number of tallied likes to equal rep points of a certain value?? IE, 10 likes for a member = 2 rep points or similar?

I do however like reputation as an indicator of good knowledge and meaningful contributions or solutions. I hate to see it fall off into the fog of Likes............

PS-Rep me if you like :rotfl:

1 - 20 of 96 Posts