Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had a problem with out of round sprockets? I went to adjust my chain because It was too loose. But after screwing around with it I noticed that my chain is loose at one point and tight in another. If I adjust it to the proper amount of slack it gets tight as a banjo wire when I spin the wheel and then loose again. I'm already planning on getting new sprockets and chain I'm just wondering if this was something I did or did the person before me screw something up. I don't want to have to mess with this again. I havn't had the bike that terribly long. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
It is your chain, not an "out of round" sprocket...

edit: BTW, please replace said chain - it is no longer worth a chit. How many miles do you have on it?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I agree. Your chain is toast. What you describe is exactly what happens when a chain has given up all it has.

You'll find differing opinions regarding sprocket replacement. However, they are not that expensive so I recommend replacement along with a new chain. That's what I've always done, and it works for me! :smilebig:

·
Registered
12 Posts
definatly recomend replacing chain sprokets will usuall pull teeth one way but not lopside them selves but usually if the chain is that gone its probably been messing up the sprocket too so you should also get a new one of those.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I bought the bike with 17500 on it and now it's got 18750 on it. It has an RK chain on it but I'm not sure if it's stock or a replacement. I'm planning on replacing the whole thing both sprockets and chain. Any opinions on what I should get? I'm looking at a D.I.D chain and vortex sprockets right now.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Orion1981m said:
Well I bought the bike with 17500 on it and now it's got 18750 on it. It has an RK chain on it but I'm not sure if it's stock or a replacement. I'm planning on replacing the whole thing both sprockets and chain. Any opinions on what I should get? I'm looking at a D.I.D chain and vortex sprockets right now.

Definitely replace them as a set. Brands of chain/sprocket is gonna get you the same discussion as brands of tires.........
:rotfl:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the same problem with a fairly new chain/sprocket on my old CBR600,
when I finally discovered that the rear wheel bearings were completely rooted and made adjusting the chain a total lottery.

Solved the problem by convincing my wife that the bike was knackered and traded it for a new 954 - result.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts