Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everybody got a question i recently bought a 08 cbr 1000 in Vegas at an auction ,how do i tell if it is legal in California the bike only has 788 miles thanks for your help

·
Registered
355 Posts
I don't think the bike needs to have California emissions to be licensed in California. I moved to CA and titled a bike there that I bought new in NM. There were no issues.

·
Registered
287 Posts
There's an emissions label on top of the airbox that will tell you if it's CA legal, along with the title.. If it doesn't and the vehicle is "new" (has less than 7500 miles) it's not legal in CA.

There are some exceptions (like, if you by a non-CA emissions certified vehicle which was purchased to replace a vehicle that was stolen when you were outside of CA) but in general, a new (which means less than 7500 miles) vehicle, including motorcycles, will need to have CA emissions to be legal here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK i found the label it is on the rear fender under the seat but it only says it meets federal emissions and doesn't say California can i just buy a used fender with the sticker or do they check something else?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yes - they check something else.. The title and VIN. Does the sticker indicate if it's legal in all 50 states? (In 2010, the EPA standards catch up to California's, so, some bikes are already being built to be sold in all states.) If it does, it's CA legal..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts