Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took the bike out, changed the oil, and took the battery tender off. Shortly after a tank of new gas I realized something must be wrong. I was getting really long starts, unless I gave it a little twist of the throttle while starting. I also started to see MPG drop. As I was mostly comuting to work after the first couple of get it out of my system rides, I know it wasn't because I was WOT by anymeans. I read that for long starts it could be a fuel pressure problem, would that also cause my 25 MPG 110 mi range?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Are you getting any soot build-up at the end of the pipe? Perhaps some animal decided to build a nest in a section of your intake resulting in a "choke" situation.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Does the bike have a Power Commander? If so, try disconnecting it and see if the problem clears up.

·
Registered
685 Posts
try throwing some FI cleaner in your tank....you may have residue from old gas clogging up your injectors a bit after sitting for the winter.Throw in the required amount of a GOOD FI cleaner ,and i bet the problem will fix itself after a tank full of riding

·
Banned
4,696 Posts
my cbr started doing it, i mixed a bit of the leaded fuel in and it cleared it up. apparently it still had some old weak gas in the bottom of the tank

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be fowled up plugs or tired battery
New battery last year, tender on all winter. What is a 'good' FI cleaner? I've used that 104 stuff in my car, just recently gave seafoam a shot in my truck. Just in the gas not through the brake booster hose yet. If that doesn't work I'll check the plugs. If none are a problem could it be my valves? Got 14K and some change on it now.

·
Registered
685 Posts
New battery last year, tender on all winter. What is a 'good' FI cleaner? I've used that 104 stuff in my car, just recently gave seafoam a shot in my truck. Just in the gas not through the brake booster hose yet. If that doesn't work I'll check the plugs. If none are a problem could it be my valves? Got 14K and some change on it now.
BG products available from Fox Distributing of Southwest Florida, Inc. - Distributors of BG Products

if the bike ran fine before you stored it for the winter, this is most likely the problem.Some mechanical ,like the valves, didn't go bad just sitting through the winter.I see your in wisconsin, you did drain all the coolant before storage ?

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
A bike that doesn't run good upon starting and riding After storing it says to me .... old fuel in the fuel system. It takes less than an ounce of bad old fuel ( in all the wrong places )to make an engine run like poo poo. I'd say ask around about cleaning the fuel system. The obvious place that fuel stays pooled up is the fuel filter and fuel lines. Also in the bottom of the gas tank, partially clogged injectors.

Seems like there should be a machine that can clean injectors?? How do the Honda dealerships clean dirty injectors?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
If it wasn't ran over the winter check your plugs if you see indications of fouling it could be the fuel pressure regulator diaphram dried out developing a crack.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have to agree to change the fuel. My bike ran like crap after the winter and I siphoned the tank bone dry, threw some new fuel and it ripped again. I also agree with PC3 if you have one, disco it and see if anything changes.

I hate it when my bike runs like crap :crying:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts