Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is twice now, except this time it really let go. My 954 was good til I came to a stop. I watched as the temperature rose. So it went up to 232°F while sitting at a light after a 10 mile ride. I pulled into the parking lot, shut her off and SPLASH. I belive. ... believe it was coming out of the rad cap. I didn't wanna get too close. Last time this happened (3 weeks ago) it came out the overflow hose and much less. Any suggestions? Thanks guys.

Attachments

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
thermostat stuck closed/partially opened...?

low coolant level...?

fan not engaging (bad relay)...?

·
Registered
752 Posts
I would also check the radiator cap. Or just change out the cap and thermostat and take it from there.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thermostat stuck closed/partially opened...?

low coolant level...?

fan not engaging (bad relay)...?
I would also check the radiator cap. Or just change out the cap and thermostat and take it from there.
My first thought was the cap. The fan is operating good. Kicks on at 213°. The coolant level is good I will order the thermostat Pronto, I have the manual, but has anyone done it before? Easy?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I changed the cap had to find a closest match (pep boys so I hope it holds). I let it run and it didn't splash anywhere but still over heated drastically. Went up to 252°!!! Ouch! So I will shop for a thermostat today/tomorrow and drain her a little bit. Cross my fingers. This sucks:(

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
thermostat would be my guess as well. shouldnt be too bad to change.

·
Banned
831 Posts
It was suggested you change the thermostat, and while you're at it, toss in a new cap, but not ignore the thermostat. The radiator needs to be full, not just the overflow tank.
You know, the more parts you throw at it, you increase your chance of fixing it. It's called shotgun (SGT) troubleshooting. Another is random parts replacement. (RPR) both are usually the collective solution on these forums, but these techniques are not found in any manual. :rotfl::rotfl:

Don't forget the head gasket, you might need one if you keep pushing temps to 252.
207, 213 degrees, not a big deal in fluctuation. Maybe it was 213 at the fan switch sensor and not the temp gauge sensor.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
About you're pep-boys rad cap: is it rated for 1.1 Bar?
I would suggest shutting your bike of before it hits 250F degrees. Like Blunt mentioned, that's the danger point where internal damage is very likely to happen.
Personally, if I saw my bike hit anything over 230 -235F, I'd be killing the engine.
Don't forget to burp the coolant system after you change the thermostat.
I've described the process a few times in a few different threads if you care to do a search.
Or better yet - follow the instructions in your service manual. :thumb:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
About you're pep-boys rad cap: is it rated for 1.1 Bar?
I would suggest shutting your bike of before it hits 250F degrees. Like Blunt mentioned, that's the danger point where internal damage is very likely to happen.
Personally, if I saw my bike hit anything over 230 -235F, I'd be killing the engine.
Don't forget to burp the coolant system after you change the thermostat.
I've described the process a few times in a few different threads if you care to do a search.
Or better yet - follow the instructions in your service manual. :thumb:
I'll definitely do a search AND look in the manual. I'm gonna get an oem rad cap when I order the thermostat.
And I did cut the engine off when it reached 242 but turned the key to see what temp it was at and it rose to 252. I guess since the fan wasn't enough by itself to keep it cool

1 - 12 of 12 Posts