Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was in the 60's. Wierd thing is the temp jumped dramatically. It got as high as 250 then would jump to 220. No in-between. during my ride it fluctuated between 198 to 250. Fan is working. Only maint since winter storage was an oil change. So what do you guys think?

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
250?? :eek: :sless: I would hope that's a bad temp sensor. If not, that's bad, very bad.

Check the thermostat, and check for any air pockets.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Agree with ND4, take the thermostat out, put in a pan of boiling water on stove and make sure it is opening fully.

How old is the coolant? It needs to be replaced every two years.

·
Registered
902 Posts
If it really is 250, you might notice increased knocking when the engine is loaded as if the gas is bad. You'll know it if it ever gets to 270. That's when the coolant pressure should exceed the radiator cap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AMTFGH said:
Agree with ND4, take the thermostat out, put in a pan of boiling water on stove and make sure it is opening fully.

How old is the coolant? It needs to be replaced every two years.

Might be in the 2nd year.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I would flush the entire coolant system because of the age, then be sure to replace with your favorite flavor of coolant and water. While at the task you might as well do the boiling water diagnostic check on the thermostat. I would also find out what the open and closed current is supposed to be on the sensors and check them as well.
If they aren't expensive forget about checking the sensors and just replace the things for a peace of mind. I'd do the same with the thermostat.

Once you have the bike running and up to temp grab the hoses and see if there is pressure building up. I doubt you have a water pump problem by your description, but it's worth a look.

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts