Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Literally overnight, I started having these electrical problems with my 2000 929. When ignition switch is turned on:
1) Low beam headlight bulb filament barely glows (gives appearance of receiving a fraction of the voltage it should)
2) High beam bulbs do not light at all when high beam switch is turned on, and blue high beam indicator light on instrument panel does not light
3) Turn signals do not flash, front and rear
4) Both rear turn signal bulbs remain lit constantly (should only flash when using turn signals)
5) Instrument panel backlight does not work

Thinking the low beam bulb may be bad, I tried switching it with one of the high beam bulbs, but no difference.
Using my multimeter, I checked the voltage coming out of the headlight low beam socket with the bulb completely unplugged (reads approx. 11.5 volts with engine running). However, the voltage only reads approx. 2.3 volts at the terminals of the bulb when I plug it most of the way back into the socket. I can't figure this out, but it seems it might explain why the filament barely glows (problem #1 above).

Aside from these 5 problems, everything else is fine. I'm hoping there is one problem causing all the issues described above. As an aside, the battery is new (a few month old Shorai lithium) and the turn signal flasher relay is only a few years old. Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
hmmm... guesses:

1. bad/poor ground or loose battery wire
2. expired voltage regulator/rectifier (R/R)
3. melted wire/harness
4. fried ECU

Right now, your best friend is a multimeter, Service Manual, and 5mm Allen Wrench to remove the plastics.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I reinstalled my old Yuasa lead acid battery, and no difference. Found out when I disconnect the headlight low beam socket from the bulb, the instrument panel backlight works and both rear turn signal bulbs turn off (instead of remaining lit constantly). The standing voltage of the new Shorai lithium battery is just fine (approx. 13.3 volts), its terminal leads are secure, and my charging system is working perfectly. If the ECU was fried, I'd have to imagine it would be causing other major problems, but that's not the case.

I also tried connecting the headlight low beam bulb directly to the battery and it lit fully. I'm thinking I should also do the same test for all of the turn signal bulbs and both high beam bulbs. Next on my list would be to try testing the turn signal and high beam switches on the left side handlebar. If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,154 Posts
If your confident the battery and charging system are tip top, then I would start chasing a short/bad ground. Sounds like something is getting a bit too much resistance. I'm not a 29 or 54 guru, but I think there is a ground block (junction) up near/behind the gauges. It has a habit of getting shitted up and sending good bikes into electrical frenzies. Make sure all your green wires are tight, free of visible corrosion, and check them all with a meter.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your confident the battery and charging system are tip top, then I would start chasing a short/bad ground. Sounds like something is getting a bit too much resistance. I'm not a 29 or 54 guru, but I think there is a ground block (junction) up near/behind the gauges. It has a habit of getting shitted up and sending good bikes into electrical frenzies. Make sure all your green wires are tight, free of visible corrosion, and check them all with a meter.
Ian, is this the ground block you're referring to? I circled it in red on the left side in the attached pic. Pardon my ignorance, but exactly how do you check the green wires with the 2 multimeter probes? I'm assuming 1 probe to a green wire in the block, the other probe to...?? What do I set my multimeter dial to (i.e. kind of test)??

Attachments

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,154 Posts
Ian, is this the ground block you're referring to? I circled it in red on the left side in the attached pic. Pardon my ignorance, but exactly how do you check the green wires with the 2 multimeter probes? I'm assuming 1 probe to a green wire in the block, the other probe to...?? What do I set my multimeter dial to (i.e. kind of test)??
Yeah, I'm guessing that's it. There might also be a frame ground somewhere as well. It gets corroded and buggers up proper grounding.

As far as the meter goes, ohms setting will show resistance, and if you're able to reach with the probes, continuity will verify if you have an open line or "broken" connection. I'm guessing more of a ground issue though.

Take for example testing the green ground wire from a turn signal to the ground block (if it goes there via the wire diagram). You should have very low resistance AND continuity. That means no corrosion and a complete line to and from each ground.

Hopefully some other FI 929'ers with more experience than me with them will offer their opinions. Good luck:thumb:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Had starting issues with the 94rr due to poor connection at the connector blocks. Was intermittent (until I fixed it)....

So could be a poor connection at a connector block.... Gad anything removed / replaced recently?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The new Shorai lithium battery I installed a few months ago was the most recent change, nothing else since then. As I stated previously, however, I'm highly confident that's not the cause, as the old Yuasa lead acid battery didn't make any difference when I temporarily reinstalled it (per jondog's suggestion above). All other times I've inspected the wiring it was in like new condition, but I'll check my connections again.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I tried the connections several times, out of desperation I tried for the third time or fourth time, cleaning the connections, and the blocks, with contact cleaner etc...

And she was fixed... Still don't know what was actually wrong.... But the cleaning and fettling seemed to do the job....so I can only assume that there was dirt or corrosion (or perhaps a slightly bent pin) that was causing problems.....

Worth a check, and if 20 mins wasted, no worries....

But....if the battery has been changed...check the wires around the battery (break, short, poor grounding)... Etc...perhaps you dislodged something whilst doing it....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts