Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious... I'm thinking about getting my wheels painted to match the orange on my bike. How much should that cost on average? Does anyone from Orlando know a good paint shop? And depending on how much it would cost would it be worth it or should i go after market? Also, I want to clean up the rear end of my 900RR. Any suggestions on an undertail?

·
Registered
40 Posts
By all means, do NOT have your wheels painted. Get them powder coated instead. Paint would wear off of a wheel and chip and flake. Powder coating is baked on in an oven, and you can have it flat-coated or hi-gloss clear coated. I have a shop up here that does it for $60 a wheel.

The only bad thing is, you have to get new replacement wheel bearings from a dealer, so figure on another $80-$100 or so to put new wheel bearings in after the powder coating is done.

But, it lasts forever. :) I have had my VFR wheels done white, and my 929 wheels done in silver, and it's just awesome. They have over 400 colors to choose from, from flats to metallics, and metal flakes.

Look around for a good powder coater in your area.

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
That's a good and fair price for a solid color on powdercoating those two wheels and crash cages.

If someone tells you more than $80 to do one wheel, walk away and find another powdercoat shop.

I am having a set powdercoated gunmetal metalic grey here soon. You do have to replace the wheel bearings however, and the seals.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Keep in mind that there are a TON of custom colors out there, so if you need something beside the "normal" black, white, red, etc... it can get more expensive. $80 for a rim is fine, but once you get into the custom shades n colors... whoa... lookout!

·
Registered
283 Posts
the guy that did mine charged $70 for each 929 wheel and $35 for each NSR wheel...bearings and seals are cheap if you don't get them from a dealer. I get mine at an actual bearing store, and they pressed mine in for free.

·
Registered
737 Posts
By all means, do NOT have your wheels painted. Get them powder coated instead. Paint would wear off of a wheel and chip and flake.
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!

How do you think motorcycle wheels are supplied new from the factory? They're painted my friend. Treated well, the paint does not 'wear' off, it won't flake, and it is baked/cured in an oven.

Yes, powdercoating is baked on too (at a much higher temperature I'll add), and it is more durable than paint. I'll give you that. Questions have been raised about the powdercoat oven bake process stressing the wheels (annealing them). I don't know about that, but I know that painting them won't expose them to that risk (if there is one).

Powdercoating is not this imprevious, indestructable medium. It will chip just the same as paint will. Treat it harshly and it will scratch just like paint. Use the wrong polish and you will marr it, and degreaser attacks powdercoat if not washed off right away (unlike paint).

I'm not attacking powdercoating....I have my car and bike wheels powdercoated, as well as a lot of other parts on my bike, so I do personally believe in the process. I'm also a part-time spray painter so I paint wheels too. They're both good options to color a wheel. Yes, there are some pretty cool colors in powdercoat, but it will never replace the infinite color availability of paint.

All I'm saying is that painting a wheel is not as delicate a finish as you would have make out.

Cheers,
Sime

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im knew on here but i had my lips polished and painted the ceters in a single stage black and had no problems. There easy to keep clean and if i do get a chip it will be east to touch up unlike a powder coat.

·
Registered
902 Posts
The only bad thing is, you have to get new replacement wheel bearings from a dealer, so figure on another $80-$100 or so to put new wheel bearings in after the powder coating is done.
Those are expensive wheel bearings. I bought exact replacements from a bearing distributor for several bucks each. I'd never buy from the factory dealer. Besides, any good mechanic can tap out and reuse the old bearings.

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
I wouldn't trust my skin by reusing old bearings that have been removed from the wheel. If you can find Timken brand bearings.. those are the stuff. OEM's use Timken sometimes. A bearing supplier should have them. It is kinda pricey what Honda wants.

I still prefer powdercoating over paint when it comes to wheels and frames.
Much tougher than paint as far as resisting chipping. The other thing i like about p/c is how inexpensive it really is. Where else can one have two wheels stripped and professionally recoated for less than $175. Maybe i'm bias.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I wouldn't trust my skin by reusing old bearings that have been removed from the wheel.
Agreed. No way would I ever refit removed bearings.......not even if they were removed by an HRC MotoGP race technician! I use the All-Balls bearings and they have been great for me. The bearings cost $20 the set (per wheel) and the bike shop charged me $25 an end to remove/fit the bearings. It pays to shop around on labor charges.

I still prefer powdercoating over paint when it comes to wheels and frames.
Much tougher than paint as far as resisting chipping. The other thing i like about p/c is how inexpensive it really is. Where else can one have two wheels stripped and professionally recoated for less than $175. Maybe i'm bias.
No, you're not biased. Powdercoating is a very good finish. And yes, it is a lot cheaper than paint. I would powdercoat my own wheels and frame again if I were doing it all over, even though I get paid to spray paint!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I beleive there is someone here in Ocala. I'll have to check with my boss when I go in tomorrow on a name and address.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts