Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a certain paint I should use on either stock or race glass? Does it need a flexing agent since it is plastic afterall? With my recent crash I have the opportunity to do something a bit different.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Yes you'll need something designed for plastic with lots of flex in it. You wouldn't want to try and install that sumbitch tail cowl and have all the paint flake off.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Reaper - I recommend you use a single brand for all your products, friom the cleaner-degreaser to the final coat. That way you'll avoid incompatibility that can cause peeling and crazing. For street applications, I'd recommend a base coat/ clear coat, but for race plastic I'd think about single stage paint, much easier to repair if necessary.

The flex chemicals are normally for urethane bumpers, which are much more flexible than race glass. I didn't use it on my vfr. Nevertheless, use whatever prep is recommended by the ONE manufacturer you select.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
It is more important to use an adhesion promoter in or under your primer. Using aflex agent in your clear is a good idea, but not necessary.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
phobiaphobe said:
Serious question: are you in the autobody business? Or is it just a hobby?
Neither. :idunno:
A friend of mine owns a shop and they painted my bike. I did alot ( :evilaugh: ) of the prep work on my bike, but that's it.
What I stated above is what I was told when my bike was painted, not my personal knowledge of the subject.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts