Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
i was wondering about how to paint my 929 frame,its the erion black frame but on 1 side it looks like a light faded black,thanks to the sun when i parked in my old apt complex,i just put my motor in before thinking about wanting to paint it

can i just tape off the motor and other parts i don't want sprayed?

i can't afford to powdercoat it or anything,so what should i do? spray paint? i've seen extremely good spray paint jobs aslong as the prep is right,so should i sand the frame and spray a high temp black?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Yeah, i did the same thing. For now, the inside of the frame is still plain aluminum, but the outside it painted a flat back. I suggest slightly sanding the frame by hand, cleaning it very carefully, tape everything off properly, 2-3 coats of primer (2 hours between coats about), then several coats black and to protect the entire bit, a coat of clear.

check my gallery, the 929 is in there.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
b e a utiful

thats not bad at all,so i can just scuff the frame and spray away with spray paint? (after primer) or do i use a certain high temp paint

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey there

Flat it to give it an etch, use a MS primer, thick 1primer - 1 hardner mix, no need for several coats, one good coat, once its dry you use water and a p400 then a p600 water paper to flat it.

This will remove any runs etc and smooth it.

Then you can put an automotive grey primer over and flat it down dries quick +/- 1hr

What finish do you want on the frame? matt / gloss?

Heat resistant not neccesary, 2k cured correctly will work just as well, I have done a couple of frames like this.

H

·
Registered
180 Posts
ps, I forgot to mention , when you flat the grey primer use a p1500 paper and water with soap , always use soap, if you cant get the correct flatting soap, get a washing detergent for clothes, but check the acidity in it, clean the frame well before spray coats.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey there

Flat it to give it an etch, use a MS primer, thick 1primer - 1 hardner mix, no need for several coats, one good coat, once its dry you use water and a p400 then a p600 water paper to flat it.

This will remove any runs etc and smooth it.

Then you can put an automotive grey primer over and flat it down dries quick +/- 1hr

What finish do you want on the frame? matt / gloss?

Heat resistant not neccesary, 2k cured correctly will work just as well, I have done a couple of frames like this.

H
i'm a huge fan of gloss,but for frames i'll keep it flat,i want it to look like when it was when i bought it,that perfect super dark black

1 - 9 of 9 Posts