Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about getting a helmet mainly for a cool shape strong and safe incase the worst happens and painting it but a fella i work with says he thinks u cant paint a helmet because the paint reacts with the resin in the helmet and weakens it.

Has anyone and advise or words of wisdom they cud share with me on this subject? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
That's interesting---I am deeply involved in playing and coaching hockey in the Great White North and I do know that you if paint or put stickers on hockey helmets in voids the warranty, and even worse you will be asked to leave the playing surface and get a new bucket:crying:

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Hmmmm......
If that's true, than I'm riding around with a compromised lid.
I'm going to investigate....

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Wait a minute. Fiberglass is painted ALL the time! How many car parts are fiberglass that are painted? The entire Corvette is fiberglass body panels. I had a fiberglass hood on one of my muscle cars.
I don't know about this weakening the helmet. Maybe if you didn't use a decent primer that's acceptable for fiberglass... :idunno:
My most recent helmet paint scheme was done with the newer waterborne paint. I'm not worried about it.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Don't paint it. Most paints / solvents will weaken it, and the only way you'll find out by how much is when you need it the most.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Fibreglass bits on cars aren't designed to take an impact like a helmet is supposed to. Most helmets are of a different plastic anyway.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
See what you think of the info in this article.
fwiw, I'm having a hard time finding ANYTHING that says that paint weakens fiberglass.
Unless you use a paint type not compatible with fiberglass, in which case that's operator error, not material falure.

How to Paint Fiberglass

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
With proper primer, and proper paint that's compatible with fiberglass, you aren't going to do one bit of structural compromise to a helmet.
If the prep is done incorrectly, or you use the wrong products, then anything can be more prone to failure.

I'm just saying, you can't just broad-brush this topic by saying paint makes your helmet unsafe.
Research, use the right products, use the right procedures, and the integrity of the fiberglass isn't compromised.

·
Registered
47 Posts
When i first started riding in 1976 a lot of cheaper helmets made from polycarbonate were affected i seem to remember. Nowadays a decent quality fiberglass one should be ok!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
When i first started riding in 1976 a lot of cheaper helmets made from polycarbonate were affected i seem to remember. Nowadays a decent quality fiberglass one should be ok!
kinda an old thread. But relevant to me, as I'm going to paint mine soon. I think the reason it voids warranty in oxman's case is that cheap-asses likely patched a gash or threw a sticker over it, not that the paint or sticker were actually the problem, they're guilty by association

1 - 12 of 12 Posts