Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I'm really sorry for the onsluaght of stupid questions.
I've never had a digital temp. gauge before. At what temp is the 929 already starting to overheat? I've noticed that in traffic it likes to jump to way over 200 F. I was wondering if this was abnormal in anyway, or what to expect.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Plain water boils at 212. Water+coolant boils at ABOUT 240. I have seen my 929 go up to 220+ and come back down. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What would you guys say is the best coolant to use? I'm not worried about it freezing, because I live in FL. It's really humid here, and the traffic alone can kill a bike. Water Wetter?

I ran a search and it seems like a lot of people are have trouble with the liter bikes overheating. I definately start to feel that temperature rise. I'll be sure to note tomorrow if the fan turns on at 220, as it should. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I live in GA and use a standard mix of 50 \ 50. That's half water, half coolant. My favorite coolant is Prestone. I've never had a problem.
And I ride a liter and have never had a problem with overheating. Then again I have an over-ride on my fan. Whenever I see it hit 200 degrees I reach over and flip the switch. However, at 220 the fan should kick on normally with no issues what-so-ever.

I would also suggest using a distilled water. You pour in corrosion when you use tap water. If you don't believe me look at the water spots on your car the next time you forget to dry it after washing.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
If you go with antifreeze just make sure to get the kind that's safe for aluminum engines. I've stuck with the premixed Honda stuff. I switch to distilled water + Water Wetter in the summer (track days) and I've noticed that it runs a couple of degrees cooler. Not a huge difference, but some.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Engine Ice should be ok, but I've never used it. For tracks that require anti-freeze removal, Engine Ice is still a glycol product, so it's usually not allowed, in case that's ever a consideration.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Custom900 said:
Yes, make sure you use the proper antifreeze for Aluminum.
Thanks HondaGirl.
Ah, so the Prestone stuff is the silicate free? I'd rather mix my own, as when I change back from Water Wetter in the winter, I don't completely flush, so the premix stuff gets diluted out some. I'm only good for -7 F instead of -46 F. :D I doubt I'll see -7F in the garage, but I'd prefer to mix my own.

·
Registered
225 Posts
So is the hype about Engine Ice running 20 or 50 degF cooler or whatever the temps were are they bogus or does this stuff really keep the bike cooler for street riding only?

Anyone ever use this stuff and have good info on it? Thanks again sorry for the hijack.:D

·
Registered
225 Posts
Guess I could of done a search :D

Thanks that answers alot of questions. Looks like Water Wetter is the favorite plus it's a hell of alot cheaper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts