Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used PC104 computers? Part of one of my many plots is to create an onboard computer system for the RC. PC104 boards seem attractive as I can get a 12V powered system that I can create USB based sensors for (or serial) and even put a wireless board in (to upload and download stuff). Also if you have run PC104 based system what OS did you use, I am thinking Linux.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
At my previous employer, some of the engineers put a system together using these components. I was astounded at how small they were. The engineers used win2k --barf and gag--, but I am sure Linux will work quite well.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
colryn said:
At my previous employer, some of the engineers put a system together using these components. I was astounded at how small they were. The engineers used win2k --barf and gag--, but I am sure Linux will work quite well.
Pretty low power and cool? They look ideal for a RC tail mounting :eyebrows:

I was thinking non-Pentium to keep heat/power requirements low since all I really need is small throughput with no computation to speak off (that would be performed after download). Also I would like the storage to be solid state (thinking 1GB compact flash) Plus I have been looking and if you have $$ there is USB/Firewire/GPS/802.11B/Serial/PC Card support available.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
sheepofblue said:
Pretty low power and cool? They look ideal for a RC tail mounting :eyebrows:

I was thinking non-Pentium to keep heat/power requirements low since all I really need is small throughput with no computation to speak off (that would be performed after download). Also I would like the storage to be solid state (thinking 1GB compact flash) Plus I have been looking and if you have $$ there is USB/Firewire/GPS/802.11B/Serial/PC Card support available.
The one they used had the serial/pccard support and USB/firewire daughter cards atteched. They also combined several 2.5" thin HDDs as well. It fit completely in a custom box about 4.5x4.5x10 inch box.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
colryn said:
The one they used had the serial/pccard support and USB/firewire daughter cards atteched. They also combined several 2.5" thin HDDs as well. It fit completely in a custom box about 4.5x4.5x10 inch box.
Thanks :thumb: I am thinking cutting some plastic and welding it together with rubber or foam mounting for the board.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I'd be tempted to Win98lite onto a 2GB CF card via USB port. Solid state would mean less prone to HDD crash due to motion.

and I say win98lite b/c it's so small.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
asiliat said:
I'd be tempted to Win98lite onto a 2GB CF card via USB port. Solid state would mean less prone to HDD crash due to motion.

and I say win98lite b/c it's so small.
Yep no hard drive as I think the failure rate would be high. And Win98 :eek: the more I look the more I like Linux, the one advantage I could see with Windoz would be I could store Powercommander maps and have a loader right in the tail of the RC :eyebrows: Of course it is going to be headless (no video support) so I need a seperate machine any way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts