Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a very early Saturday morning. I got to the race track at 7 am. The weather was really crappy at 5-6 am, but by then it had started to look okay.

The first session was substituted w/ a track walk while we waited for the track to dry out some more.

First on bike track session was really slow. More like a few sighting laps. Pretty boring actually.

After that we began to up the pace. I was running the whole track in 3rd gear, but by the end of the day was doing the whole thing in 4th. I ran off the track once when I missed a reference point in turn four. I managed to keep it up and not let it rattle me. After that I was determined to nail that turn, and began to do a little better after some pointers from my group leader. I love T12 and T13! Super fun! I did drag my knee a couple of times in T13!

Some things I noticed I need to work on next time:

1. Shifting on the track adds a whole new set of things to worry about. ie- locking up the rear wheel if you are on the brakes while shifting.
2. I need to get used to things coming up on me so much faster and braking the right amount to carry speed into the corner. I was running a pace that allowed me to roll off the throttle and enter the turns. I used the brakes very little.

In all the class was awesome and I would highly recomend it to everyone. I can't wait to either take this one again or take another.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I also am really open to any pointers.

Thanks,

HD

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Glad you had a good time HD. Wow, you were in 4th gear through turns 12 & 13 (stock gearing)? I waited until the last second, waiting for the weather forecast to bring something hopefull (forecasted thunderstorms off and on). I decided not to go late Friday night, went to the Brown's scrimmage at the Stadium instead Saturday. The weather turned out to be not too bad except for the humidity, bet you guys were sweating big time later in the day.

Anyone else have any instances off the track?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Glad you had fun. T4 is a good one. It catches a lot of people out. I ran off there during our race in June (just came in too hot and lost concentration). Plus that is the turn I do the worst in as far as entry speeds go.

If you are interested in picking up the pace a little more and getting some personalized instruction you might try their racing school. When I took it at the end of April there were only 2 students for every instructor. That made for a lot of personalized instruction.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the end of the day everyone in my group had run off once. And one other guy dumped his R1 in turn 4. No damage as he dumped in the grass.

I would like to take the race school, but I'm afraid I might be over my head a little. Thinking of taking the advanced street again first. Not sure.

My bike is geared low. Previous owner went up 3 in the back But it is fun. The thing pulls very hard. I did have to down shift to 3rd to pass at times.

I was just trying to concentrate on turns, and didn't want to throw too much braking and shifting into the mix yet.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Yea I would agree on another Advanced course. Supposedly State Farm STILL insures bike repairs from the Advanced Street 'Saftey' course. I saw about 7 people go down my first time out there, no serious injuries. The Group A riding is a pretty good (fast) pace from late morning on through the day.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SuperDave : Yea I would agree on another Advanced course.  Supposedly State Farm STILL insures bike repairs from the Advanced Street 'Saftey' course.  I saw about 7 people go down my first time out there, no serious injuries.  The Group A riding is a pretty good (fast) pace from late morning on through the day.
Yea, that's what I should do. Take it again and ride the A group.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Cool...sounds like you had a great time!!! Where are the pics...? ..so when are you running the Endurance race??? That track is bumpy...but tonnes of fun!!! I really enjoyed it...(thanks lfg)...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts