Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some tinkering with photoshop for a while and decided to actually go buy a book about it...you know, a little semi-formal instruction so to speak. Anyway, I figured I'd start a thread for people who like to tinker with their pics to share some neat tips and tricks if you have any. I'm currently trying to get a handle on layers and this is my first attempt although I cheated and used a blank layer and the clone tool. For some reason I couldn't simply copy and paste the two seperate images.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I actually was very good at using Corel Xara many years ago, and had a great handle on layers, but for some reason, photoshop has always seemed to be a mission to accomplish anything, almost like it is too complex. I know it's probably the top program for this sort of stuff, but anyway, that is my rant - which book did ya get? I ought to buy it and learn...

Z..

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Photoshop 7 for Dummies, of course! I'll move on to the more technical books after I figure this one out.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I really want to take a class at the local community college...just never seem to find the time...aarghhh

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Open the two pics, and on the one you want to be the 'background' hit the 'create new layer' button.
Then, with the 'move tool', click and hold on the other pic and just drag it to the 'background' pic. Now you can adjust opacity, shadows, etc. It may create a blank layer, but just delete it if you'd like.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I have an entry level version of PhotoShop and I find that is has some nice powerful filters and the like but a lot of thins (like text) just seem overly complex to accomplish.

I also run PaintShopPro 7 and I just love it. Light (loads faster), easy to use (applies filters fast) and produces good results.

It's automatic balancing system does not seem as goo as PS so I hope images back and forth between the two often (I like the clone brush on PSP better than PS btw).

As far as layers.. I see that has been basically explained. Neat thing to do with layers (ie. you want to put a different background on something) is just plop them down, apply 50% transparency and then go erase the areas from the upper layer until you get the image comination you are looking for, then return the upper lay to 100% and you should be just about there..

Fun stuff!!!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
It is an excellent program, but is often the proverbial cannon used to kill a fly. Between the built-in features and the many plug-ins available, it ought be able to read your mind and do what needs to be done. The effect is quite opposite, and sometimes frustrating, so I end up using lighter programs for some tasks.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
BDA116 : Open the two pics, and on the one you want to be the 'background' hit the 'create new layer' button.
Then, with the 'move tool', click and hold on the other pic and just drag it to the 'background' pic. Now you can adjust opacity, shadows, etc. It may create a blank layer, but just delete it if you'd like.
Easier to just right click the picture you want to copy and select Layer via Copy, then select the destination picture from the dropdown menu in the box that pops up (*the picture you want the layer to end up on).

*For those currently using PhotoShop for dummies.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BDA116 : Open the two pics, and on the one you want to be the 'background' hit the 'create new layer' button.
I tried that and some funky things happened to the pic I was dragging...it seemed to resize itself. hmmm. I'll try it it again and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies! Keep em coming.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
nhfirefighter13 : Quote (BDA116 @ Sep. 08 2003, 12:15pm)Open the two pics, and on the one you want to be the 'background' hit the 'create new layer' button.
I tried that and some funky things happened to the pic I was dragging...it seemed to resize itself. hmmm. I'll try it it again and see what happens.

It'll do that if the source photo and the destination 'canvas' are different sizes.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
nhfirefighter13 : Quote (BDA116 @ Sep. 08 2003, 12:15pm)Open the two pics, and on the one you want to be the 'background' hit the 'create new layer' button.

Which version of Photoshop are you using?
It shouldn't resize your image, but you will only see a portion of the image if the one being copied is larger than the destination photo. You can move the photo around inside the canvas, though. Or, you can resize the canvas on the destination to see more of the photo layered on it.
Also, depending on which version you're using you don't actually have to create the new layer, either. Just drag the photo on top of the other and it will create the new layer for you.
Something else to keep play around with: try messing with the 'hue/saturation' (Image - Adjustments - Hue/Saturation) to change certain colors in you photo. Like the pic of the pink RC51 I've posted that knots certain panties all up.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Baketech : I really want to take a class at the local community college...just never seem to find the time...aarghhh
After seeing that pic you posted of the guy doing a stoppie behind Chain and his cruiser, I don't think you need any classes - you're dangerous enough already!  

That would be this one

1 - 18 of 18 Posts