Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd share the photos on my facebook page documenting the rebuild of my bike. I actually bought it this way for $950 (with clean title) from the police impound auction. It's done (been done for a while) but I thought it might give some encouragement to others out there rebuilding their bikes.

This is a series of pictures showing the rebuild from when I first got the bike:

Paul Viriyapanthu's Photos - CBR 1000RR rebuild project | Facebook

And what it looks like now:

Paul Viriyapanthu's Photos - cbr1000rr reborn | Facebook

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lovely build

what all did you need to buy from police auctions? been a little curious about that
Well, you just need to know when the auctions take place, and show up. The one I go to they require a $200 deposit after bidding is over, and you bring the rest of the cash by the end of closing that day. The trick is to find the few gems there are. Alot of it is worthless junk. Some of it is really good.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Well, you just need to know when the auctions take place, and show up. The one I go to they require a $200 deposit after bidding is over, and you bring the rest of the cash by the end of closing that day. The trick is to find the few gems there are. Alot of it is worthless junk. Some of it is really good.
oh so you dont need a license for this? :eek:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, heavens no. Open to the public. The one I went to (though it won't help you since you are in Texas and I am in Cali) is where all the cars get impounded. For example, your caught DUI and your car gets towed, you park in the wrong spot, your car gets towed, your caught with drugs and your car gets towed...get the picture. All the cars and bikes they tow have to be gotten rid of somehow. If you cannot come up with the money for towing $300 and for storage (often $65 a day), then the car gets sold at impound auction. You get lien sale papers. Take them to DMV, and they give you the title. It's all open to the public.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Oh, heavens no. Open to the public. The one I went to (though it won't help you since you are in Texas and I am in Cali) is where all the cars get impounded. For example, your caught DUI and your car gets towed, you park in the wrong spot, your car gets towed, your caught with drugs and your car gets towed...get the picture. All the cars and bikes they tow have to be gotten rid of somehow. If you cannot come up with the money for towing $300 and for storage (often $65 a day), then the car gets sold at impound auction. You get lien sale papers. Take them to DMV, and they give you the title. It's all open to the public.
:plus1: ill have to check that out, enjoy the blade :patriot:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
enjoy the blade :patriot:
hehehe...already am, man. Already am. :D

P.S. I know you were looking for bikes. That blade cost me about $3500 to put together as it is. I could have brought it in under $3k if I did not go for the FACTORY repsol body work (which is a little bit pricey compared to the chinese copies).

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Looks like a good job to me.

Out of interest I have a couple of questions - a lot of posts from the US mention a 'clean title'.

What is a 'title' and how does a 'clean title' compare to a 'non-clean title'.

Just curious what it is and how things work over in the US, being from the UK our system is different.

·
Registered
20,980 Posts
Looks like a good job to me.

Out of interest I have a couple of questions - a lot of posts from the US mention a 'clean title'.

What is a 'title' and how does a 'clean title' compare to a 'non-clean title'.

Just curious what it is and how things work over in the US, being from the UK our system is different.
I think it means nothing outstanding to pay such as HP, Loans or tickets. Morninig m8:thumb:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I think it means nothing outstanding to pay such as HP, Loans or tickets. Morninig m8:thumb:
Morning Jazzy... looking at post #5 it looks like some sort of registration document - like our V5. I suppose it could include the info you suggest as well?

I'm sure one of our US pals will be able to tell us for definite!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Your TITLE is documentation that goes with a vehicle or house for that matter and a CLEAN title basically means that the vehicle is able to be registered and licensed. If the bike was damaged badly and the insurance company deems it unfixable, it will receive a SALVAGE title. Some states will allow you to repair these types of titles and get recertified but many will not. Florida and maybe some other states have another title called Certificate of Destruction which means it can never be recertified in any state. I could be off on this a bit but you get the idea.

Other things against a title would be liens from a bad loan. Recovered from being stolen etc. A clean title means a lot.

In Canada it is very similar except we call a Title, Registration.

·
Registered
286 Posts
HOLY JESUS!!!!! Nice ride man and good job on the build.... i gotta get my arss down to one of them police auctions lol...... after the f4i stop kicking which will prob b never lol.... anyways yea title is proof of ownsership and states if vehicle was ever flooded burned totalled etc...

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Great build! I bet it brings a smile to your face knowing that you put blood sweat and tears into getting her to where she is now.

You should be proud of yourself :thumb:

I see your into RC racing too?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hello folks. Thank you all for the kind words about the rebuild. And yes, I'm proud of myself, and a whole lot of my money, blood, sweat, and tears went into it. Of course 95% of it was mostly money and tears!! I really do not know if I would do it all again if I had a choice. When I first got it, I didn't think it would be that bad. Just thought new forks, fairing, and electrical. Once you get into it you realize that it is more involved than that, and there are things you never considered. But I started it, and I had to finish. And my mechanic deserves the bulk of the credit since he did the electrical. The main damage was to the left side, which is where the fusebox is, and where all the wires lead to. What was left were a bunch of wires with frayed ends that I had no idea how to put back together. I am absolutely no good with electrical stuff so I gave it to him. But now that it is all done, and I can ride it, it gives me such a huge grin.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Love the way you get to stick your number plate under the mudguard keeping the back end looking sharp.Here in the uk we have to have something the size of a notice board hanging off the back to keep the cops at bay.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts