Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas between the two? Besides tread pattern, what's the difference? Also, any thoughts on Pirelli Corsas?

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
An H2 is a Pilot Race tire. Do you mean Pilot Sport? The H2s take a while to heat up. Probably not the best for street riding. For the track, I ran S2 fronts and M2 (harder than H2) rears this year.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
stick with the PILOT Sport for the street. the h2 m2 and s2 wear really fast but for the track, they are killer. IMO.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Stay away from the H2 front tire. It sucks ass... I was running an H2 when I tossed the RC51 down. I had it on the 929 at Putnam last year and its grip sucked. I have heard that this is because the H2 front had to meet some sort of European tire wear spec so they had to modify its construction. Thus, it doesn't work as well. It is an ok street tire, but if you are pushing things then bump up to an M2 or S2 in the front. For the rear you can use the M2 or the H2 (depends on your riding style, the track, and the temp). I just go with an S2 front and M2 rear and it is good enough for any of the conditions I have ridden in so far.

BTW, the Pirelli SuperCorsas and Metzler Rennesports are good track tires as well. They aren't quite as grippy as the Michelin's, but they slide predictably and have good wear.

If it is a street only tire then I wouldn't use any of the above. I have had my M2 rear and S2 front on the street. They are *slippery* until they warm up. I spun up the rear pulling out from the stop sign by my house on a cool morning (not cold). I wasn't even getting on the throttle that hard at all since I was turning.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
tigerblade said:
An H2 is a Pilot Race tire. Do you mean Pilot Sport? The H2s take a while to heat up. Probably not the best for street riding. For the track, I ran S2 fronts and M2 (harder than H2) rears this year.
No, it's not a pilot sport. Here's a link to STT's catalog showing them.

link

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lfg929 said:
Stay away from the H2 front tire. It sucks ass... I was running an H2 when I tossed the RC51 down. I had it on the 929 at Putnam last year and its grip sucked. I have heard that this is because the H2 front had to meet some sort of European tire wear spec so they had to modify its construction. Thus, it doesn't work as well. It is an ok street tire, but if you are pushing things then bump up to an M2 or S2 in the front. For the rear you can use the M2 or the H2 (depends on your riding style, the track, and the temp). I just go with an S2 front and M2 rear and it is good enough for any of the conditions I have ridden in so far.
Sounds like you and TB have the same idea. Good info.

Thx!

:cool:

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
fivestar929 said:
No, it's not a pilot sport. Here's a link to STT's catalog showing them.

link
OK, I see. I think that "Pilot Race" may have been the predecessor to the H2/M2/S2 line? I'd be leery of buying one. Stick with Pilot Sport for the street and the S2/H2 or S2/M2 combo for the track IMHO. :thumb:

Actually, I prefer Dunlops on the street anyway because of the more rounded profile. S2/M2 on the track is awesome though.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I used the h2 front and rear on the street,which I believe is their intended usage,great tire,but take awhile to warm up like all michelins i've used.s2,m2 are meant for the track,h2 is the "race tire" for the street.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tigerblade said:
OK, I see. I think that "Pilot Race" may have been the predecessor to the H2/M2/S2 line? I'd be leery of buying one. Stick with Pilot Sport for the street and the S2/H2 or S2/M2 combo for the track IMHO. :thumb:

Actually, I prefer Dunlops on the street anyway because of the more rounded profile. S2/M2 on the track is awesome though.
I had thought that too. Just wanted another opinion.

Thx!!

:thumb:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use S2 front and H2 rear at the track. The H2 rear lasts about 1 1/2 track days and that's with flipping the tire after the first day( the RC51 is notorious for eating rear tires). The S2 front will last four track days flipping between the second and third day.

I haven't tried the Metzler/Pirelli DOT race tires as they will cost me a lot more.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Steve F said:
I use S2 front and H2 rear at the track. The H2 rear lasts about 1 1/2 track days and that's with flipping the tire after the first day( the RC51 is notorious for eating rear tires). The S2 front will last four track days flipping between the second and third day.

I haven't tried the Metzler/Pirelli DOT race tires as they will cost me a lot more.
Sounds like a pretty common set-up. I think I'm actually gonna go w/slicks this year.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Get the H2 front if you like your front tire to slide at random times mid-turn. If you like your front end to stick to the ground, get the S2. I know from experience :crying:

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
I've never used race tires because I do a good amount of street riding too. Since you asked about the Pirelli Diablo Corsas, by opinion on those is that they are a great trackday tire. Pirelli rates them for 70% track, 30% street. They are a dual compound, harder in the middle, softer on the edges. The tread goes to the edge of the tire, so they also offer excellent grip in the wet, something the SuperCorsas, or other race tires (or slicks) that don't have tread to the edge of the tire, won't provide. I guess it depends on what your intended use is. Is your bike going to be track-only? If so, then try the race tires. If you go with slicks, however, you're not going to have much fun if it's wet. If you are going to do several trackdays, and also street riding, and don't want to have to change to rain tires on a wet trackday, go with the Pirelli Diablo Corsas. My 2 cents, FWIW.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Where did you read that they are "dual compound"? I spent a day at a Pirelli tech session where they spent most of the time telling us that the Bridgestone "dual compound" thing is a fukin joke. More of a manufacture fault that a marketing guy got a hold of.
Anyway, two words for tyre on ANYTHING.
Pirelli Diablo.
Road with track days = Diablo
Track = Diablo Corser
Turn, grip, wear, feel better than any other tyre I've used. (And I've used them all)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts