Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like my HTEV is having issues... as in sticking half open (3-7k or whatever). I plan on pinning it fully open, and would like to remove the servo to save a couple pounds. Will there be an FI light? If so, any way to get rid of it?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
It seems like my HTEV is having issues... as in sticking half open (3-7k or whatever). I plan on pinning it fully open, and would like to remove the servo to save a couple pounds. Will there be an FI light? If so, any way to get rid of it?
If you remove the servo motor, there will be a permanent error but it has no effect on the bike at all.
No, there is no way to kill it without reconnecting the servo motor.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn... I'd like to have the light off, in case I'm enough of an idiot to run it out of oil or something.

Should I pin the intake flapper open too?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Damn... I'd like to have the light off, in case I'm enough of an idiot to run it out of oil or something.

Should I pin the intake flapper open too?
You do realise the MIL is not the same as your oil light?
Put some black insulation tape over it if it annoys you.
Mines been lit for years now.
You should remove the airbox flapper entirely but yes, you must keep it open if you disable the servo motor or you'll be starving the engine at high revs.
I don't recommend locking the HTEV wide in the 8000+rpm position unless you're racing. Most people would find the 3000-8000rpm position most useful for road use I would think.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do a fair number of trackdays ;) I'll try it fully open and if I'm not happy with that, I'll try the 3-8k.

I realize the MIL isn't the same as my oil light, but the glowing red light is going to alert me before the oil symbol will.

·
Registered
940 Posts
you can leave the servo on but just remove the cables running to it and then you will not have the mil light on like i did

·
Registered
21 Posts
Actually there is a way to get rid of the light. There is a guy on another forum making what he calls an ESRM. Basically a small chip that plugs into the original plug for the servo. Sends the ecm a signal and tricks it into thinking the servo is still working.

He originally came up with the module for the 08-10 RR, then adapted it to work with the 04-07 RR. I of course own a 929 and just installed a full system so i was in the market. I got ahold of him and spoke about it working on a 929. He thought it just might work so i went ahead and ordered.

I got the module and installed it a few days ago. Upon initial start up there was no light. I have yet to ride the bike since its been quite cold in Ohio. There has been plenty of guys confirm it works on the other forum. Might want to give it a try.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Actually there is a way to get rid of the light. There is a guy on another forum making what he calls an ESRM. Basically a small chip that plugs into the original plug for the servo. Sends the ecm a signal and tricks it into thinking the servo is still working.

He originally came up with the module for the 08-10 RR, then adapted it to work with the 04-07 RR. I of course own a 929 and just installed a full system so i was in the market. I got ahold of him and spoke about it working on a 929. He thought it just might work so i went ahead and ordered.

I got the module and installed it a few days ago. Upon initial start up there was no light. I have yet to ride the bike since its been quite cold in Ohio. There has been plenty of guys confirm it works on the other forum. Might want to give it a try.
Good to see people are still willing to make the effort for older models.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turns out there was just a little rock stuck under the cover for the lower pully... now that it's gone, everything works fine again. I don't see a reason to remove it when it's working fine, so I'll keep it as is.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Turns out there was just a little rock stuck under the cover for the lower pully... now that it's gone, everything works fine again. I don't see a reason to remove it when it's working fine, so I'll keep it as is.
Same thing happened to mine - brilliant design :)
It jams the valve which strips the plastic gears in the servo motor.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Luckily the servo motor still seems to work on mine - or at least it still moves when I rev it. If it fails at some point I'll pin it, but not for now.

·
Registered
85 Posts

any more info on this? who is the guy? does he have a website?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Do a google search for "pdfruth's DIY Exhaust Servo Replacement Module (ESRM)".

This should take you right to his post on another forum.

If you can find it let me know and i'll send you the link.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts