Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not real happy with the focus so far. I just upgraded the firmware to 2.0 and will see how it goes from there...

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Nice pic figment. Suggestion: next time on a butterfly shot, try that same angle but with the insect's head closer to you instead of the tail end of the butterfly (did that make sense?). And remember, rule #1 in macrophotography of small critters - always make sure the eyes are in focus. I realize this is not a true macro shot, but just for future ref.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think my problem might be shutterspeed related. I was using a wide aperture to reduce the depth and emphasize the subject. 1/20 is pretty slow for a 200mm lens I guess...

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
figment : I think my problem might be shutterspeed related. I was using a wide aperture to reduce the depth and emphasize the subject. 1/20 is pretty slow for a 200mm lens I guess...
If you are using a wide aperature, then thats as fast as your shutter speed will go. Stopping down the aperature will slow the shutter speed even more. Do you have the IS lens? If not, at 1/20 at 200mm, its a wonder the pic is even close to sharp! I'd say you were doing pretty damn good to get a sharp pic at 1/20 at 200mm... 1/200 is the rule of thumb minimum (as you probably already know)...

I have heard of focus issues with the 10D, so you definitly want to be watchful of it. But IMHO, that one pic looks awesome, well saturated, excellent DOF...

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
1/20 and you're complaining?

I've gotten used to taking pics at 1/20 and sometimes less with my 10D and am constantly amazed at how clear they come out without the use of a tripod.
Here's a tip for you. Put it on continuous shoot and snap off 4 or 5 pics. By the 3rd or 4th pic you'll have a steadier pic with better 'focus'.
Another helpful tool is a remote cord for the shutter release...get's rid of a lot of camera shake.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
figment : no, I did not 'think' I needed an IS lens. Maybe I was wrong...
You don't need it... But shooting 1/20 at a VERY long 200mm will require a tripod to be razor sharp. That fact that your pics come out sharp AT ALL is amazing. IS is typically good for 2 stops of help. If you have the dough, its worth it I guess...

The 10D is a very low noise camera. You might try bumping the ISO up some, that'll gain you some shutter speed and I doubt you'll notice much if any additional noise (or grain in the film world)...

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nhfirefighter13 : 1/20 and you're complaining?

I've gotten used to taking pics at 1/20 and sometimes less with my 10D and am constantly amazed at how clear they come out without the use of a tripod.
Here's a tip for you. Put it on continuous shoot and snap off 4 or 5 pics. By the 3rd or 4th pic you'll have a steadier pic with better 'focus'.
Another helpful tool is a remote cord for the shutter release...get's rid of a lot of camera shake.
thanks, I'll try the rapid-shot bracketing. I also need to configure the focus mode for the center spot only, or understand the other focusing modes better. The camera is smarter than I am and, I have forgotten a lot since I've been using mostly snapshot cameras for the last 5 years.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Try playing with the AF Point selector and main dial (the one next to the shutter release) to select which part of the photos you want the camera to focus on. It only works when you're in the 'creative modes' *(anything above the green square. As far as metering goes....I almost always use the Evaluative mode.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts