Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Two weeks ago I purchased an 02 954RR, which I got a great deal on, but does have high miles 36K.
I started the bike and though it’s hard to hear because of the full exhaust, it sounded like a slight valve sticking sound.So I dumped the oil and did an oil change using the Honda HP4 synthetic blend. Started the bike up and it sounded great, so I took it for a brief quarter mile to half mile ride around my block cause I’m awaiting a rear tire and parked it. I just started it yesterday and took it for a quick buzz around the block and once again heard the lifter sticking, and check the oil and it was low. I was expecting this because it says it has roughly a 3.8 gallon capacity and I only had about 3 1/2 quarts of oil in it but it said it was full. It must’ve finally opened up and sucked in the remaining oil inside the engine ports. So I threw another quarter of a quart of the oil in it, started up, and it sounded good again, minus maybe tiny little valve sound if you use a stethoscope. Regardless I recheck led the oil level and saw white frothiness on the hourglass. It was most noticeably seen when the bike was leaned onto the kickstand which lowers the oil level in the Oil view glass. When I dump the prior oil it was clean and in decent shape. There’s no way water or anything got into, it’s garage kept, and the coolant level and everything is correct. Now when I check the oil in the hourglass there’s no frothiness.

i’m not trying toRisk causing any damage so I was told to drain a quart out, put a quart of kerosene in, and start it up and let it idle for a couple minutes to let it get to temp, then dump it make sure everything’s out, and literally let it drain for like an hour, then put on new oil and filter

I desperately asking for any help if anyone can shed any light on this

Lastly in my 1993 Honda CBR 1000 F I just use the Honda GN4 oil.
I just used the HP for synthetic blend in the CBR 954RR because that’s what the prior Owner was using but I’m thinking of going to full synthetic Mobile 1 motorcycle racing 4T 10-40

I’d really like to figure out this issue before filling it with synthetic oil and racing having to dump it out again

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
personally, i wouldnt be concerned with that amount of foam. if coolant was making its way into the oil itd look like iced coffee with cream in it. most likely, that small amount is simply condensation thats built up and hasnt burned off. this is common when people start their bikes and let them warm up without riding any real distance. i would ride a good ways and check it again. id bet itll be gone. also, the 954 typically has a noisy top end.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
fill it up properly with oil (i.e to the line with the bike upright and warm (run for a couple of minutes then let it stand for a couple of minutes). short runs run the risk of condensation building up so take it for a run, like 50-60 miles and not round the block, and see it its happening still. If the water level is ok in the coolant tank then its probably not leaking water. put a felt pen mark on the expansion tank as a reference and only check when cold.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,356 Posts
I will concur with Kevin, the sight glasses sometimes ggo opaque with condensation. It’s no big ideal. If the oil you’ve already drained after the kerosene didn’t look like a frapacino, you’re good to keep running it. If it doesn’t go away after some hard flogging, drain it. If water or coolant got in there, you would know immediately as the oil starts to drain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts