Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 1992 CBR 600 from a guy and he claimed that he drove it to work multiple times this year and that the only problem with it was that the carbs need cleaned. It ran really rough and rich when I first got it so I took everything apart and cleaned the carbs perfectly. It runs way better now and revs all the way up while in neutral. However, when I try to ride the bike, it will only rev between 3-4k and just doesn't want to rev any higher. I have read multiple forums and have not found out anything to help me yet thus far. If you have any ideas as to what the problem could be, please let me know!! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Hi and welcome.

Sounds like a super clogged air box/filter to me, although timing could also be an issue.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
I’ve owned a 1994 CBR600 F3 and had real problems getting to run properly, a couple of things I would suggest you check, as it could be fuel starvation, firstly the fuel tap (petcock) these can fail and cause fueling issues, also check that the fuel tank breather is not blocked, a simple test is to run it with the fuel cap open. It could also be a jammed choke so it’s permanently on.

The other thing to check is the jetting, it may have been jetted for a different exhaust. IMO these bikes run much better completely standard.

Good luck, keep us updated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I cleaned the carbs I also cleaned the air filter... looks brand new. It wasn't super dirty when I cleaned it. How can I look into the timing? It runs totally fine and doesn't sound like it is off. I also did replace the spark plugs with NGKs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try and run it with the fuel cap open. I know the choke isn't jammed because I made sure it wasn't after I cleaned the carbs. I believe it has the stock header on it and I took off the POS muffler that was on it. It was cut to slip onto the stock muffler spot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By end can do you mean muffler? If so I don't have one on right now. I did purchase a cheap one from Amazon to get it quieter though because it is extremely loud.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,118 Posts
If the bike revs freely in neutral but falls on its ass under load it’s most likely not getting enough fuel and something is preventing it. Usually the main jet.

If you are absolutely sure the Carbs are clean, then I would do a compression check. That way you can get a good idea of what condition the motor is in.

But most of the time it’s a fuel issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts