Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I bought a used 93 cbr 900 and when I got it home realized there is something very wrong with the clutch, I will post a vid on the issue but basically it sounds like a helicopter when the clutch is engaged but when I pull it in the sound goes away. My local Honda dealer told me to go scratch saying they don't work on bikes older than 10 years and if they did decide they would it couldn't be done until winter! WTF kinda bullshit is that?

So I guess I need a reputabile shop that can fix my old ass forgotten bike. Hopefully there is something in the NJ/PA area. I'm near Trenton, Princeton, Philly area

-Chris

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
My suggestion, if you are not mechanically challenged, find the manual (I can shoot you one) and do it yourself. Clutch kits (OEM) are typically $100-$150 and it doesn't take that long to do! Personally I'd never step foot in that dealer again, it's fairly obvious they don't want your business!!!! :thumbd:

P.S. they charge up to $200 to change out your clutch for you, not including parts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Demon! A manual would be a great start! I am mechanically inclined, I have done motor swaps on VW's of all kinds and some wiring, exhausts, suspension etc. I have never worked on a bike before though. I do have a stand and a decent set of tools. I was going to consider looking at it myself, I saw a diagram somewhere of removing the clutch basket but it called for some special clutch holder tool I don't have. I wonder if a impact gone would get around that. Appreciate your help! :D

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Toss me your email address and I'll zip a .pdf manual over to you (running cost is $20) I'll let you know if anyone ever pays me for one :rotfl:

Edit: it will literally be a zip file, also included is a parts catalog!!!

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Costs $40 if you actually pay me..... just so you know :eek: :smilebig:

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
To hell with it, damn internet is to slow to upload the file, here is a direct link to the download (I think it's the right one) type in the security letters and download.

Edit: this covers yours too! don't be fooled by the title

Edit #2: removed link... I blame Larry =P

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome thank you! I will take a look at this tonight :) I am still open for shop suggestions too, just in case it doesn't hurt to know where I can take my baby if I need to.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Only suggestion, yellowpages.com Though can't verify the ability of that shop to properly fix them, at least it will give you some numbers to call and start checking around! (most U.S. shops are $90+ per hour labor, this includes during a diagnostic inspection) :rant:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea that is beat, I'm buying a clutch holder tool off ebay and I'm gonna give this a shot myself. I mean it doesn't work now so I doubt I could break it any worse!

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
LOL now there's the spirit! Just grab a manual and take your time... the best advice I can give..

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
It's probably about an hour north of you, but I like Rizzon's Cycle in Middlesex, NJ. Good guys. They're now a Suzuki dealer, but will work on all Japanese bikes.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Hi everyone,

I bought a used 93 cbr 900 and when I got it home realized there is something very wrong with the clutch, I will post a vid on the issue but basically it sounds like a helicopter when the clutch is engaged but when I pull it in the sound goes away. My local Honda dealer told me to go scratch saying they don't work on bikes older than 10 years and if they did decide they would it couldn't be done until winter! WTF kinda bullshit is that?

So I guess I need a reputabile shop that can fix my old ass forgotten bike. Hopefully there is something in the NJ/PA area. I'm near Trenton, Princeton, Philly area

-Chris
Call Frank at Sun Cycle: Sun Cycle, Inc.

I used them for years and he's always done top notch work with very fair prices. Drop the bike off, then spend some time at the beach!

I live in DE now, so I've switched shops. I'd also highly recommend Speedwerks in Dover, but it's probably more of a drive for you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the tips everyone. Just an update I pulled the cover off and pulled the springs and clutch plates out and everything looks ok, although I'm not sure what I am looking for. My clutch holder tool just arrived so I will be pulling off the clutch basket next and I hope to find a beat bearing behind it. I don't know how the clutch/tranny works on bikes so I am just hoping it is not tranny related.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts