Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can I use on the rear sprocket of my bike to get all the nasty chain wax and brake dust off without screwing up the swingarm or rim finish? I tried to use WD40, but the crap on there is too sticky! If you have any ideas, please share.
Thanks!

Brian

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
WD-40 will remove it. Also, when that happened to me (I had a crappy brand of chainwax) I cleaned the swingarm with brake/contact cleaner. It comes right off.

Keep at it. A little elbow grease (along with wd-40) will get that yuck off their in no time.

And one last thing... LET THE CHAIN WAX DRY first. :p

·
Registered
759 Posts
I use WD-40 and a rag.  Kerosene is pretty messy.

EDIT: Throw away the chain wax and get a bottle of Honda chain lube. You'll love it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
i've used chain wax since day one. i never cleaned my rear sprocket area til i noticed (in a picture) that it was COMPLETLY black back there. i went to the ole standby - Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish - and now i just have to clean it every now and then. still using the wax, btw.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
wd-40 and a toothbrush. it works the wd-40 in there without wiping it away, plus you can get into the hard to reach places.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I use S100 to clean the chain. Spray a bunch on there and let it sit for a few minutes. Then take a wire brush to it while the bike is on the stand. Rinse it off. Repeat if required.

The S100 isn't harmful to any of the rubber seals, etc, that are in that area.

·
Registered
819 Posts
go to yourl local dealer and get a Grunge Brush! It is the perfect shape for cleaning chains and it sometimes comes with a chain cleaner. That happens to be a citrus type cleaner which works well. Also Simple Green, Castrol Super Clean or Purple Power will take that crap right off.

Check here for the brush: Brush

1 - 13 of 13 Posts