Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a special socket to remove the damn plugs on a nc29..
What the best way to gain access to them, Via un-bolting the rad and moving it towards the front wheel????

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
Is there a special socket to remove the damn plugs on a nc29..
What the best way to gain access to them, Via un-bolting the rad and moving it towards the front wheel????
It really helps if you have little hands which ever way you get at them...

I go in under the tank, remove it and the carbs/airbox and then lift the coils out of the way.. I have a plug socket in my tool kit for the bike, but you can use an ordinary socket, as I did before I got hold of an original NC29 tool kit.. That wont grip the plug to pull it so I used a piece of rubber hose to push down on the plug just to lift it out of the engine block..

That same piece of rubber can be used to put the plugs back in and tighten them a bit to make sure you're not cross threading them before you tighten them properly..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah thanks so much i will give it ago when i get chance.. i did try the other day but i didnt have the proper tools for the job :idunno:

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
Ah thanks so much i will give it ago when i get chance.. i did try the other day but i didnt have the proper tools for the job :idunno:
They're a bugger to get out because of the limited space I'm afraid, but good luck with it... I'll be changing mine in the next few months as it's getting close to service time again..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now ive got to he plugs, what aize socket is it to get them out.. Ive got a 21m and a 16m deep socket and none fit??

·
Registered
208 Posts
What i use, using loopys method going in under where the coils go, a 16mm-5/8" plug socket with rubber insert and 3/8 fitting, joined to a swivel or elbow joint socket place into plug hole add a small extention locate over plug then with difficulty place rachet onto extention then loosen plug, remove rachet and use fingers to loosen the rest of the way..

To put back, attach plug socket and elbow joint push plug into socket so it grips, locate into position carefully, add the extention i then usually swivel the plug backwards a bit so it helps to seat the plug then close my eyes while preying i dont strip the thread then turn the extention with my finger tips until its tight them nip it up with the rachet.

Give yourself a couple of hours to do it the first time and you may get a few scratched knuckles. I always find cylinder 2 the hardest to do, dont know why. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
i then usually swivel the plug backwards a bit so it helps to seat the plug then close my eyes while preying i dont strip the thread
Thats why I use that little bit of rubber tube.. The rubber slips on the plug if you're cross threading it and you cant get the plug to go in enough to do any damage..

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yep the rubber may be the way to go, trouble is i never prepare and do the plugs on impulse, so never get round to looking for a piece before i start. Maybe one day when i remember i'll ask the plumber at work for some.

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
Yep the rubber may be the way to go, trouble is i never prepare and do the plugs on impulse, so never get round to looking for a piece before i start. Maybe one day when i remember i'll ask the plumber at work for some.
I keep mine in my bikes tool kit :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Here is a couple of pictures i took today while i was changing the plugs.. hope it helps some one when they come to change theres :)

In the first pic you can see i removed the air-box and moved the carbs to one side. I then unbolted the coils and moved it also to one side..

I then marked the HT leads with paint 1-2-4 so i didn't put them back wrong.

In the other pic you can see i used a tube connected to the plug to put it back into the bike and tighten by hand so not to cross thread..

Thanks to loopylee for the advise:D

Job took a hour to complete but wasn't so difficult as i first thought..

Sorry the pics are a little small!!

Results: The bike is now running great :thumb:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
Thanks to loopylee for the advise:D

Results: The bike is now running great :thumb:
It was my O/H Sideshow Bob who suggested I try that with mine, so it's him you should thank really :D

I've numbered my HT leads the same way, with tyre marker pen :rotfl:

And glad you have her running great again :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts