Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stereo died in the truck on the way to Grattan last year and I am finally fixing to put a new one in. So I was thinking of getting a double DIN pioneer with the iPod attachment :eyebrows: and the piece that Bill Ace recommended. However I am undecided between putting some infinity's in or Polk (leaning toward the Polk) I want to use the original sizes to minimize chopping on the and don't need 10000dB but want some good sound.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I just upgraded the stereo in my truck last month. Kenwood Single din (you gain a small storge bin with the install kit) with a Sirius reciever. It can also control a Ipod, and a CD Changer. 3 pre amp outputs for a 4 channel and seperate Sub amp. 50w max 22w RMS per channel with the built in amp.

Now for your question. I used Polk speakers in the OEM sizes and they sound great. Huge improvement over stock. When I was checking them out in the store there display unit had Infinity and Polk. Switching back and forth between the 2 the Polks had cleaner Bass (not that the infinity was bad).Highs sounded good with either one. Very happy with them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have Infinity in my truck and Polk in my car. I have to give the nod to Polk. They are both decent speakers, but I prefer Polk's tweeters. I also have installed Polk in 2 home theaters and they seem to be good for the price.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Which do YOU like the sound of better? There's your answer.

They are both decent quality so it really comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Polk and Infinity are both good, and I used to run all Polks. I prefer them over the Infinitys because they sound warmer and the Infinitys have harsher highs, IMO. I have Polks at home, but I now run a full Eclipse system in my car. Love it! However, NH said it the best. Which do you like better. When it comes down to it, get recommendations and advice, but go listen for yourself and pick out the ones that you like the best.:thumb:

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Unfortunately, the chances of getting an honest preview of any speaker system in a retail outlet are slim to none. I have seen demo rooms that had 18" LF systems mounted in the display riser that were automatically switched on when listening to the system with the highest dealer margin. I have seen excellent systems wired out of phase (only on one range just to keep the customer guessing) to make them sound worse than the systems with the highest margin.

Also, consider that many car systems are demoed through AC powered electronics (even when the light above the "car" amp comes on to show which system is playing). Doctoring audio systems is the standard for retail sales and is difficult to spot at some of the better shops.

I recommend getting an "In Car" demonstration after you open the trunk and take a peak under the chassis . . .

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
abtech said:
Unfortunately, the chances of getting an honest preview of any speaker system in a retail outlet are slim to none. I have seen demo rooms that had 18" LF systems mounted in the display riser that were automatically switched on when listening to the system with the highest dealer margin. I have seen excellent systems wired out of phase (only on one range just to keep the customer guessing) to make them sound worse than the systems with the highest margin.

Also, consider that many car systems are demoed through AC powered electronics (even when the light above the "car" amp comes on to show which system is playing). Doctoring audio systems is the standard for retail sales and is difficult to spot at some of the better shops.

I recommend getting an "In Car" demonstration after you open the trunk and take a peak under the chassis . . .
Not to mention the dimensions of the listening area are not even close to the same in size.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
sheepofblue said:
Not to mention the dimensions of the listening area are not even close to the same in size.
It's interesting that on just about every "big time" audio system installed in a car, the frequencies they are looking to reproduce (at insane levels) cannot be heard in the car because the wavelengths are 8 to 10 times the size of the listening area. The only people that actually hear these frequencies are the innocent bystanders that are in the vicinity of the assclown slumped down in the seat and leaning over the center console while SMSing his buddies . . .

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I put full kenwood int he SUV this past summer. So crisp and clean and loud as hell.. Was kinda a birthday present to myself from myself.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Polk or Infinity speakers?

Dude, that's like asking Ford or Chevy...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Comparing Apples to Apples. You will never get an accurate evaluation of the performance of car speakers from a display board. Car speakers are nearfield design and many drivers alter their frequency response to work in the vehicle. (roll of the higher frequencies earlier due to reflections)

I have freinds at both companies but harman(Inifinity/JBL) have far more engineering resources and this adds value at the lower price points.

I am pretty impressed with the coaxial products from JL Audio. They have done some good work getting phase response correct and work well for a drop in speaker.

Now the bad news, Most newer vehicles incorporate DSP into the head unit. The OEM audio engineers usually look for the most efficient and cheapest speakers and then EQ them according to their mounting location and the vehicles interior. This means that the artificial equalization that is applies can make a ood speaker sound bad in your car and you will likely lose some output level due to lower efficiency of aftermarket speakers. This isn't a big problem if you don't use all of the volume available now. There are also impedance issues in some cases, I've seen 1 ohm and 10 ohm speakers in OEM applications. i would go to the local car stereo shops and ask the employees to listen to their cars. regardless of power at nominal volume levels you'll get an idea of how they really sound.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks good info Bill. I am thinking of hooking the speakers to a dual DIN Pioneer (I am lazy and want it to look OEM) with the device you recommended previously to keep the GM features on power/door chime/etc. I am not that picky and would likely keep the OEM except it crashed the CD on the way to Grattan last year :crying: and I do mostly long trips and towing with the truck so want CD and down the road iPod connectivity (yes I know, Abtech :door:)

Because of my iPod desire I considered Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood and Blaunpunkt for the head unit. Pioneer seemed to have decent products in the midrange to cheap range and good reviews on the iPod controller with the added benefit of OEM fit :idunno:

I don't really desire stuff like video or even satellite.

·
Registered
476 Posts
abtech said:
It's interesting that on just about every "big time" audio system installed in a car, the frequencies they are looking to reproduce (at insane levels) cannot be heard in the car because the wavelengths are 8 to 10 times the size of the listening area. The only people that actually hear these frequencies are the innocent bystanders that are in the vicinity of the assclown slumped down in the seat and leaning over the center console while SMSing his buddies . . .
Abtech,

This is what someone would believe to be true but it is actually the opposite. Aside from the rollover vents,a car interior is fairly well sealed. I have done measurements and design analysis on a few systems. Going way back (around '93) there was a system I built for a Corvette. I used LEAP and designed a subwoofer system to complement the front stage. When tuning the system there was a tremendous overpowering in the sub range. I put a parametric in line with a center frequency of 40Hz and an octave bandwidth. With all 12db of attenuation it was still overpowering. I broke out the RTA and measured the in car response. The system measured 27db louder at 20Hz than the design software represented. Measuring the encosure response out of the vehicle and in the garage it was within 5db I recall. We call this the transfer function of the vehicles interior and basically the way the longer waves couple as they reflect throught the cabin is a curve that adds to the low frequency output. This decreases as the frequency is raised and pathlength is shorter. My Acura had 2K watts to custom built free air subwoofers. My loudest (peak) frequency was 31Hz where I would bet most car subwoofers sold never play.

The reason this doesn't happen is most car audio systems is that the woofer/enclosure are tuned to a much higher frequency 45-60Hz and many (Cheap) amplifiers have subsonic filters. They are louder in the bass range but the speaker can't mechanically move enough to reproduce the sub frequencies so there is no output to couple and increase in amplitude. They never get to enjoy the 18Hz (synthesized) pipe organ in "Requeim". There are some of us they do have better than 56' of sound in our cars.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Sheep,

Do you consider yourself an audiophile? Or do you just want something that is going to sound good? What I'm saying is that I have a lot of experience around mid to high end car audio systems, not to mention installing quite a few, but all mid-high end aftermarket stuff is going to sound good. Most people are not going to be able to tell much of a difference between comparable Polks and Infinitys, IMO. It's just a matter of how picky you are, and what you want to spend.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
deftones156 said:
Sheep,

Do you consider yourself an audiophile? Or do you just want something that is going to sound good? What I'm saying is that I have a lot of experience around mid to high end car audio systems, not to mention installing quite a few, but all mid-high end aftermarket stuff is going to sound good. Most people are not going to be able to tell much of a difference between comparable Polks and Infinitys, IMO. It's just a matter of how picky you are, and what you want to spend.
Nope and it is in a noisy truck cabin to boot. That is why I figured the Pioneer head was sufficient, also I am guessing I would be happy with the Polk or Infinity and was semi-fishing to see if I got quality/workmanship gripes from those in the know (I didn't). So I am likely going Polk as I like their home gear and still get bummed at the Infinity sale that killed their awesome home gear (still have a set of Qa Reference Speakers that my brother is using)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts