Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dad and I are sitting watching TV on Saturady and hear this thump on the sliding glass door. Usually we get the dumb doves that whack into the window at full speed and it sounds like someone threw a baseball at it. This was just a tiny little thump so I got off the sofa and looked outside. This poor little guy/girl smashed into the door and knocked itself silly. My dad picked it up and its tongue was hanging out of its mouth. So he held onto it for a few minutes, and when it regained its senses, off it flew. We sat back down and continued to watch TV. Not five minutes later, another thump. I get up and sure enough another one has whacked the door and is laying dazed and confused of the patio. I figured I'd grab the digi and get some pics, so here are some of the poor little fella. This one sat in my dads hand for at least 45 minutes. We made up some warm sugar water and fed it right there in his hand. Hummingbirds are the coolest.

Dano

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Good Job... I used to have some that hung around my back yard and would chirp at me and do fly-bys if I got too close to the feeder. They were a little protective I think.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
That's one bird I've never seen in my yard. They're cool.

I have some porch windows that the birds hit also. One day I heard 4 loud bangs, like someone was at the door. 4 birds, 2 sparrows and juvenile cardinals, hit the windows one right after the other. Only one of the sparrows made it. :(

I put stickers on my window that are black bird silouttes, I assume in the shape of a hawk. That's kept them from smashing into the windows for the most part. I recommend them on any large window so the poor little guys stay away from the windows.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The feeder in the secong pic is attached to the window right next to the dining room table. It's cool cause a lot of times we'll be eating and they come up and have some sugar water. I think we ahve around 15-20 different hummingbirds that feast in our yard. We have five different feeders. It's really neat to go out on the patio and just sit under the feeders. All you can hear is the sound(hum) of their wings going 200mph.

Dano

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
HondaGalToo said:
That's one bird I've never seen in my yard. They're cool.

I have some porch windows that the birds hit also. One day I heard 4 loud bangs, like someone was at the door. 4 birds, 2 sparrows and juvenile cardinals, hit the windows one right after the other. Only one of the sparrows made it. :(

I put stickers on my window that are black bird silouttes, I assume in the shape of a hawk. That's kept them from smashing into the windows for the most part. I recommend them on any large window so the poor little guys stay away from the windows.

Put the feeders out and they will come.
Had some in MD, this dude goes, "why ya got that out there are no humming birds here." On cue he got strafed by two humming birds in chase of one another. He went home, put up some feeders and as they say, "the rest was history."

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Hummingbirds are amazing little creatures. We have a tree they love, or I might set up a feeder to lure them in.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
The back yard is a now fly zone Dow (dog) keeps birds, helicoptors and planes away. Although I have had Hummingbirds get in my garage, hard to get the little buggers out safely (one got caught is spider webs :( )

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Reaper, L2L, how lucky you are to have these marvellous creatures in your back yards. We are now down to the winter resident species, the more spectacular summer birds having migrated. I enjoyed a robin alongside me in the garden as I tidied up yesterday and the squirrels were running acrobatic riot in my hazel tree.

Typical of urban UK with high land prices, I have a very small plot, just big enough for two cars to park between road and house (with bikes in the single garage) on one side and a small group of bushes on the other in front of the house, and about 60' square of grass, trees and bushes at the back. I envy you your wide open spaces.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
oldfogey said:
Reaper, L2L, how lucky you are to have these marvellous creatures in your back yards. We are now down to the winter resident species, the more spectacular summer birds having migrated. I enjoyed a robin alongside me in the garden as I tidied up yesterday and the squirrels were running acrobatic riot in my hazel tree.

Typical of urban UK with high land prices, I have a very small plot, just big enough for two cars to park between road and house (with bikes in the single garage) on one side and a small group of bushes on the other in front of the house, and about 60' square of grass, trees and bushes at the back. I envy you your wide open spaces.
Heh, I wish I could claim to live in a wide open space! But I have lots more room than it sounds like you do. A friend of mine lives up near Portsmouth and he has a pretty nice set-up with a shop in the back. (it's actually pretty similar to my place)

I live on what used to be among the most fertile land on the planet. We paved it and built the silicon valley. :crap: But we get decent birdlife. The amazing stuff is on the east coast, their birds are so colorful they almost look tropical!

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
sheepofblue said:
Although I have had Hummingbirds get in my garage, hard to get the little buggers out safely (one got caught is spider webs :( )

I've had several different types of birds (hummingbirds, doves, mockingbirds) get trapped in my garage, and it confuses the hell out of me as to why they can't seem to find the big-ass opening at the front. :idunno: They just keep beating the crap out of themselves banging into the ceiling.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Pete said:
it confuses the hell out of me as to why they can't seem to find the big-ass opening at the front.
Bird-brains.

We had an old screwed up spark arrestor on our stove pipe and birds were finding their way through it a couple years ago. To get them out of the wood stove (they couldn't seem to get back up the pipe), I'd open all the windows and remove the screens, open the stove door, then proceed to chase them around the room while they bounced off the ceiling. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Pete said:
I've had several different types of birds (hummingbirds, doves, mockingbirds) get trapped in my garage, and it confuses the hell out of me as to why they can't seem to find the big-ass opening at the front. :idunno: They just keep beating the crap out of themselves banging into the ceiling.
Actually to get away from me they would go above the garage door. Otherwise they would bounce off the window until starvation of spider webs coating was complete. Got a couple out one got webbed good (pre-garage cleaning) and despite me trying to clean him seemed tore up. I left him in the lawn hoping he could fly after resting. He was gone when I got home and I tell myself it was flight not cat that removed him (OK I think it was a cat)

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Bird in the garage I don't worry about, they'll figure it out.

I got a bat in my house a few years ago. Now that was a PITA!

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Pete said:
That's 'cuz they can't squeeze between the top of your truck and the garage door :p

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
you should have pulled the feathers off ones of its wings and watched it dive bomb into shit at an angle

:rotfl:

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
luvtolean said:
I live on what used to be among the most fertile land on the planet. We paved it and built the silicon valley. :crap:
I prefer to think of it as sealing in the nutriants for future generations
:rotfl: But it is sad when you think about it, my area for a good hundred miles around used to be citrus orchards.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Good job Reaper! :clap: I've done that with a few Goldfinches that tried the window route. It's absolutely amazing that they come around after a hit like that. :eek: And yeah, doves seem to be the most likely victims, but they leave cool "snow angel" prints on the glass. :p Next time you hear one hit, go out and look at the window - the reflection will most likely look as if you are looking into a continuation of sky - poor bastards. Here're a few interesting "hummer" facts (sorry for the automatic advertisement).

"hummer" facts

1 - 20 of 21 Posts