Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dead battery from the cold and my trickle charger was loaned out and never returned. Can you pop the clutch on a newer bike without harming it???? i cant see it doing any damage but i wasn't sure if i worked with fuel injected bikes.
thanks

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I have a dead battery from the cold and my trickle charger was loaned out and never returned. Can you pop the clutch on a newer bike without harming it???? i cant see it doing any damage but i wasn't sure if i worked with fuel injected bikes.
thanks
If you mean push start it, yes you can do it. However you will need some battery power to make the system come alive and you should have help pushing. Third gear may be the best as well.

You can also boost it from another vehicle. Take all the normal precautions when hooking up.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
If you mean push start it, yes you can do it. However you will need some battery power to make the system come alive and you should have help pushing. Third gear may be the best as well.

You can also boost it from another vehicle. Take all the normal precautions when hooking up.
I'm not entirely sure but I think you'll need enough power to allow for the fuel rail to pressurise and for the injectors to work (... or maybe just the injectors... If I can recall correctly they stop working below a certain voltage)

Be very careful when you bump start her, she can easily lock up (and drop).

I'd be inclined to boost the battery as Denzee said :thumb:

·
Registered
180 Posts
... you'll need enough [battery] power to allow for the fuel rail to pressurise and for the injectors to work ...
I'd be inclined to boost the battery as Denzee said :thumb:
Quoted for truth....

If your battery is DEAD dead, your chances of a successful push-start are only slightly better than winning the Lottery.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Quoted for truth....

If your battery is DEAD dead, your chances of a successful push-start are only slightly better than winning the Lottery.
I think Bladeracer commented on it a while back but couldn't remember.

Thanks for that :thumb:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okayyy. ya it cranks but not enough juice to turn it over. john X i totally agree ill probably nenver see it again.
ill give it a try, not today though(its snowing).... thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
honda service manual. probably because the the charging system is sensitive. i had a bad stator, jump started the bike to get it home, replaced the stator, bad voltage regulator :rant: i wonder how that happened.
Probably the bad stator killed the regulator at a guess.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
not likely in this situation
Why not?
Maybe the regulator went first?
Either way it's extremely unlikely either was damaged by the jump start.

·
Registered
737 Posts
honda service manual. probably because the the charging system is sensitive. i had a bad stator, jump started the bike to get it home, replaced the stator, bad voltage regulator :rant: i wonder how that happened.
You're manual transmission car manual will tell you the same thing.Wives tale at BEST and complete shenanigans as we've all been doing it for years. The only thing you should NOT do under ANY circumstances is jump start a bike useing a car that is running. It tends to be too much load and it fries the ECU.

I promise you now the jump start you performed did NOT kill your regulator.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The reason the owners manual says not to bump start a bike is because it stresses the drive components. If you have a weak chain and start trying to bump start it in 1st you could, in a one in a million shot, break the chain. It also wears on the transmission because it was not designed to start a high compression engine. so if you bump start your bike EVERY time you start your bike, it will do noticeable damage.

But if you do it once in a while, typically when a battery is going bad, you'll be fine.

I had to bump start mine yesterday because I was working on it and left the lights on too long. Tried to start it and all i got was clicking. So i pushed it as fast as i could run, hopped on, dropped it in 2nd, and let out on the clutch. fired right up. It was actually MUCH easier than my Buell.

make sure you guys put it in 2nd to get it to work. 1st is too tall of a gear and it will just skid the tire. 3rd will probably work too, but 2nd has never failed me.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
The reason the owners manual says not to bump start a bike is because it stresses the drive components. If you have a weak chain and start trying to bump start it in 1st you could, in a one in a million shot, break the chain. It also wears on the transmission because it was not designed to start a high compression engine. so if you bump start your bike EVERY time you start your bike, it will do noticeable damage.
I've never seen a manual say not to bump start a bike.
Bump starting your bike does not stress anything more than simply riding it does.
Who told you all this?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
The only thing bad about bump starting your bike is once it starts, you are demanding your bikes charging system to charge a supposedly dead or very weak battery. That requires your charging system to be putting out near maximum amperage for a long period of time until the battery is charged. That puts stress on an already weak system and creates a lot of heat. Bad connectors and so on can overheat and become worse to the point of melting.

The charging systems these days (cars included) are only designed to keep the battery fully charged and supply power for accessories. You can get away with it but it's always best to start with a fully charged battery.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts