Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little help from here...

I have a 2002 954rr with about 6800 miles on it. I just bought it about a month ago. The guy had not changed the oil in quite some time, in fact I would bet the crank sat in the same oil over the entire winter last year. So I immediately changed the oil as soon as I got it.

Yesterday after a particularly hot ride in stop/go traffic (my temps rose to 223 F, don't know if that is normal) I noticed some black splatter on the right side faring vent right next to my frame slider. Upon further investigation it appears to be leaking oil (very slowly and only when running) from the head gasket just under the header for cylinder 4. There also appears to be some oil in the header seat (of course this could be from high speed air flow over the engine).

Calling the shop they seemed to think it had to be the valve cover gasket because these engines "rarely ever blow head gaskets". I re-inspected and my valve cover is clean and dry. This is definitely coming from the head gasket or appears to be.

Any thoughts on how to narrow this down? Is 223 F OK for the engine to run at or does that seem high?:idunno:

Bladeracer - If you're out there... Looking for a miracle diagnosis...

·
Registered
262 Posts
do a compression check and tell us what it says. also a head gasket will do a few things. itll smoke, youll either loose oil or coolant and youll deff. lose power. most of the time you will also find coolant in the oil

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK -I'll run a compression check tomorrow (was planning on it).

However - No smoke... And, when I changed the old oil in the bike there was no evidence of water or "milking". Also, I checked my coolant reservoir and radiator for evidence of oil, none present.

I am really stumped on this one... Perhaps the compression check will yield some answers.

·
Registered
262 Posts
check your crank case breather tube and other tubes as well it sounds like with the way you talk you dont have a bad head gasket. maybe just a tiny oil leak. if its not smoking or running bad i wouldnt worry to much about a head gasket but i would still do a compression check

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK - Case closed. Breather tube was the culprit.

Compression was right in line on all 4. Plugs looked great, replaced them anyway. Cleaned it all up with degreaser and ran it hard then idled it for about 20-30 min and checked for leaks on the head gasket and valve cover. Both are clean! What a relief!:D

:nworthy2: Good call 929 guy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts