Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone good with electrical? a week ago i got stranded, battery got hot and leaked acid, reg/rec was hot. bought new stator and reg/rec installed new parts and new battery. went to fire it up and fuel pump did not prime. headlights came on, but no display. it cranks over but wont start. fuses that i can get to under my seat are good.I dont know where any other fuses are to check. if anyone has ever ran across these issues please let me know. only thing i can think of is something burned out when my battery overheated?

2001 cbr 929rr
64k miles
stator and reg/rec are from Ricks motorsports. brand new arrived today. :frown

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the horn works with the ignition key on. the display has power, the background orange light is on. just no numbers like millage. one thought was it could have been my kill switch. but not sure. Thank you spagiratwink!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is probably were i draw a blank, I am mechanically inclined, but electrical is i get lost. I found the service connector, I will research on how to bridge it.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Hi Paddy , 20 amp, must be a short on that circuit, will have to check the red wire toward the rec/reg , and the red/green towards the instrument cluster , it has to be along those 2 wires , also red toward ignition switch, I'd start at the ignition switch first:frown

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Makes sense then, original problem was the connector from the stator to the reg/rec was melted together, i replaced the stator and reg/rec with new ones from ebay store Caltric, maybe it wasnt the parts, but it left me stranded with a boiled over battery, i replaced the battery, Reg/rec and stator from Ricks motorsports, should have been a quick install and fire up, but thats when i ran into my issue today about this short wire somewhere.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So i bought new fuses and replaced them, they are not blowing, but i still cant find the short.

I forgot to add i disconnected the bank angle sensor, the fuse did not blow, I reconnected the bank angle and it blew my fuse, is that safe to say is the issue?

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
So i bought new fuses and replaced them, they are not blowing, but i still cant find the short.

I forgot to add i disconnected the bank angle sensor, the fuse did not blow, I reconnected the bank angle and it blew my fuse, is that safe to say is the issue?
Not quite yet. Bypass the sensor, see here on how to do it. If the fuse still blows, then it was not the sensor. If it doesn't blow, then it appears to be the sensor.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
You now know which circuit has the fault; so progress has been made. I would suggest looking at the entire length of the circuit for any faults without removing any of the tape/binding holding things together. If you don't see any issues, then start removing the tape/bindings.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
honestly im kind of lost. what has been suggested is that i check the ignition switch and go from there. this has been a day and half project so far. some progress. almost need a second set of eyes now. lol. thank you guys so far for the help

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried to follow the main line that had the fault, which was the red/white wire. i cant find were it comes out at. the line that goes to the ignition is solid red and red with black stripe.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
If the fuse only blows when then BAS is plugged in, then it deals with that circuit which also does include the fuel pump. Another troubleshooting step would be to remove the fuel pump from the mix; so unplug it. If the fuse still blows, then it is either the wiring of the BAS (can't be the BAS if it is bypassed) or the wiring of the fuel pump. If the fuse doesn't blow, then it could be the fuel pump itself.

Your alternative is to find a local independent mechanic and have them deal with it. I would steer clear of dealers and most of the time, they just start replacing parts and when it isn't it, you get stuck with the parts bill.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you Ianbrown, I will give the fuel pump a shot in the morning. makes sense though, when i put in a new fuse the red led light comes on for a second before the fuse blows, the fuel pump still doesnt prime during that time but at least the indicator light comes on. so that may help.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good Morning spagiratwink! I cant sleep, this whole issue is bugging me, been reading my manual, these are the possible faults. eliminated the BAS, cause it still blew a fuse when i bridged it.

•Open circuit at the power input wire of the ECM Faulty bank angle sensor Open circuit in bank angle sensor related circuit
•Faulty engine stop relay
•Open circuit in engine stop relay related wires Faulty engine stop switch Open circuit in engine stop switch related wires
•Faulty ignition switch
•Faulty ECM
•Blown PGM-F1 fuse (20 A) <This here is what i found first.
•Open circuit in engine stop switch ground
•Blown sub-fuse (10 A) (Starter/ignition) <not blown

1 - 20 of 293 Posts