Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 954. I bought it with a rebuilt title, with 14,400 miles. All the cosmetic work was fixed from the wreck and i couldn't see any damage to the engine casing, or the frame. Well a tick has developed, and the engine started running rough. I took it to my local honda shop they looked at it. When they replaced the plugs they were fouled pretty bad due to oil, and they said the ticking noise was not the cam chain tensioner (which was my initial hope) they are assuming its something worn out in the top end. The bike was fine when i test rode it, had all the power. The tick was there on a cold start but went away in about 10 seconds so i assumed it was nothing. I rode the bike all of about 300 miles before it started bogging down on me.

My question is, how much roughly would it cost in parts to rebuild this engine myself, how many hours does this job roughly take, and is this even something worth attempting myself with average or slightly above average mechanic skills ? My shop is telling me it could be around the 5000 USD mark, which sound extremely high to me. Thank for any insight that you have.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts