Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking to buy a '00 929 but the VIN number doesn't look right. Last three digits of the number are misaligned and look like different font, also engine serial number has one funny looking digit.
Could you tell me if this is normal (maybe the first part of the VIN is done on different machine) or does it look like stolen bike ?
Title search comes up clean but I might be searching for different bike if the number was changed.
Is there second location for the VIN number besides the one at the front of the frame ?

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replys. I was talking about the number on the frame.
I'm seriously doubting this one.
It's so hard to find good used bike. Everyone will tell you the bike was never dropped and then you find out the tiltle says rebuilt ...

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
When I bought my RC the owner told me it had been lowsided on both sides twice. After reviewing the suspension, I had no doubt he was telling the truth (and there were no physical indications of a highside).

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I'm not familiar with the paperwork you have up in Canada, but down here you can usually get a VIN Verification Form from a Dealer, Police Department or Town Clerk's office. This form can only be filled out by a police officer or a licensed vehicle dealer after the bike's vin is visually inspected by the person filling it out. I'd either walk away from the bike or look into getting something like like form filled out.

·
Registered
203 Posts
honda uses a few funny charecters that are different from the others to PREVENT and more easily identify fraud, and sometimes vins are not all that straight, take a look at the same charecters on other peoples legit bikes.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
All of my letters are straight. So far everyone that has replied here has stated that they have straight VIN#s.

I can't say whether or not that the VIN is legit because I haven't seen it personally, but there is the chance that the bikes frame is is a victim of some form of fraud. A stolen bike or frame isn't always the immediate answer, but fraud in itself is.

Just call in the VIN to the local DMV and see whether or not the frame is listed as being stolen.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's the problem. The frame number checks out fine but I'm afraid it's been changed.
Imagine someone crashing their bike with no insurance. They steal similar bike and change the number on the frame to match. Now they are riding stolen bike with clear title.
I don't want to buy it.
Spring has just started here so there will be better selection of used bikes pretty soon.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
CRXnut said:
The frame number checks out fine but I'm afraid it's been changed.
Imagine someone crashing their bike with no insurance. They steal similar bike and change the number on the frame to match. Now they are riding stolen bike with clear title.
Now you're using the grey matter stuffed between your ears. :think: :idea:

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
This whole thing is just kind of kookie aint it?

CRX, you made the right choice. Pass on the bike and wait for a better one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all,
pretty soon you gonna have another dedicated member of this forum (well, unless I won't find nice FireBlade and settle for R1 :) )

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
abtech said:
When I bought my RC the owner told me it had been lowsided on both sides twice. After reviewing the suspension, I had no doubt he was telling the truth (and there were no physical indications of a highside).
:pointup: :rotfl:

Definately pass on this bike, you are making the right choice. :thumb:

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
9uno9 said:
honda uses a few funny charecters that are different from the others
Of the 10 Honda motorcycles I have owned, every single one of them had VINs where every single digit was standard alpha/numeric, and each was of the same size and font.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Pete said:
Of the 10 Honda motorcycles I have owned, every single one of them had VINs where every single digit was standard alpha/numeric, and each was of the same size and font.
Except on anything with HRC written anywhere on the bike. My VIN is hand lettered and in cursive on the last 3 characters.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
abtech said:
Except on anything with HRC written anywhere on the bike. My VIN is hand lettered and in cursive on the last 3 characters.
So your frame is not standard off-the-showroom stuff? :huh: I sure don't recall my RC51 having anything other than a standard VIN stamped on the headstock. :idunno:

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Pete said:
So your frame is not standard off-the-showroom stuff? :huh: I sure don't recall my RC51 having anything other than a standard VIN stamped on the headstock. :idunno:
This is well documented. Baketech and I were discussing it a few months back. I believe the 03s' on were "more" standardized, but several of the original 00 models were entirely hand scribed with an electronic scribing tool.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts