Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, fresh meat here.

I am shopping around for a new bike since I sold my 600, and have looked at darn near everything out there including naked bikes, Yamahas, Suzuki's, even a Ducati. I have kind of whittled it down to the 2003 954 (new, at least one local at the dealership) or a 2005 GSXR750.
I am open to a little comparison from those that care to (I am 5 foot 6 and weigh about 130 after a meal).

Anyone who happens to know of a new 03 offered at a California dealer I would also be interested in hearing from since my local dealer apparently took drugs before pricing the 03 on the show room floor.

Benefits of the Suzuki aside from being a newer model year also includes the cute Suzuki financing which helps sell the wife ($99/month for 4 years--then lots of pain and suffering thereafter), and a godawful yellow color scheme that will hopefully repel cages as well as it attracts bees.

I am a long term Honda guy though and the 954 seems more comfy and less prone to the nuts and bolts complaints all over the Gixxer forums.

I appreciate any input.

·
Registered
31 Posts
:welcome: and rememeber to cruise the site for previous discussions. This crew has covered just about every topic related to the fireblade that you can imagine!
As far as the local stealer over pricing an 03 model, they are just trolling for some ding-a-ling that doesn't know better. Make them an offer, leave your number and play the game. You never know, they may bite :idunno:

Cheers,
sds :cheers:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have made a couple attempts at it in the last 6 months (!) and they keep saying that they "won't lose money on the deal". I am waiting for the rain and then I will possibly go in again and make a play.

If anyone else in Cali sees an 03 on the show-room floor let me know and I might take a shot at it.

Or maybe I should go for the Gixxer...

:smilebig:

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
You don't have to actually buy the bike from the dealer that has it in the show room. Go to another local Honda dealer and work the deal from them, Just tell them you are in the market for a 954 and wondered if there were any availiable and at what price. That is how I got mine in '03, I got the SAME bike $1,500 cheaper.

Oh and WELCOME.

·
Registered
712 Posts
DONT give in...keep shopping! My buddy got his 03 in november of 03 for $8499 OTD at East Bay Motorsports in Hayward and I got mine in 2002 dirt cheap as well. Offer the dealer like $8,000 or $8200 OTD....he's stupid not to take it eventually. Do your research on the internet....check all dealers you can find and cycletrader.com as well. Many dealers advertise there. Also call www.lacyclesports.com That's where I got mine. They're the largest volume Honda dealer in the USA and they even trailered it here to Turlock. (300miles) Do your research and make some phone calls

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am Having Lacy cycle sports quote me on their S/B 03 that they list. we will see what they say. I am up in Redding.

Anyone compare the 04 gsxr750 to the 954? Their specs are remarkably similar hp/weight/torque etc... (954 is a little snortier of course). But that reach for the bars on 750 is a little rough for me.

Thanks for the info guys. Still open for more thoughts.

Anyone? Anyone?... ;)

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Intimidator said:
Also call www.lacyclesports.com That's where I got mine. They're the largest volume Honda dealer in the USA and they even trailered it here to Turlock. (300miles) Do your research and make some phone calls

I second that. I've priced California WIDE, took my time, and nobody could beat them on my '02 954 OTD price. I continue to send my friends there because I know they won't get raped on price. San Diego House of Motorcycles came in around $150 more than LACycleSports, but that was on the '02's. Might want to check with them on the '03's.

Good Luck, and for what it's worth I took the 954 over the '03 GSXR1000 at almost the same price...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hmmm, an 05 GSXR-750 or 03 CBR954? Good question. Remember to take into account insurance rates, and available parts. Also what are you expecting to do with the bike? Commute, stunt, track, race, etc.? You really can't go wrong with either bike. But that yellow on the gixxer is just ugly.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I posted one a few days back. I am selling my r6 shortly and have been debating on a 954, 750, and thought about an r1 but have read many horror stories on there forum. So right now I am leaning heavily towards the 954.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I promise they are not going to lose money. I bought my 954 3 months ago for $7875.00 out the door. But I also had to go out of State to get it. The rebates from Honda are huge, the stealer just wants to make a killing. Good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Intimidator said:
..... Also call www.lacyclesports.com That's where I got mine. They're the largest volume Honda dealer in the USA and they even trailered it here to Turlock. (300miles) Do your research and make some phone calls
How much did they charge you to trailer up to your place, Intimidator? :idunno:

sds :rolleyes:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Checked the active topics back 148 posts without any interesting results on my questions before I posted.

Lacy Cycle sports lists a s/b 03 but they e-mailed me back and say they have no 954's in inventory (?).

My local dealer may yet get some of my coin. The local Suzuki guy is way more accomodating for better or worse.

·
Registered
712 Posts
sds said:
How much did they charge you to trailer up to your place, Intimidator? :idunno:

sds :rolleyes:
I think they added $100 to the price. Hell, it would have cost me that much in petrol for the truck, plus lunch for me and whoever went with me, plus the boring ass ride home on 300 miles of freeway...not to mention the speeding ticket!

·
Registered
712 Posts
muab said:
Checked the active topics back 148 posts without any interesting results on my questions before I posted.

Lacy Cycle sports lists a s/b 03 but they e-mailed me back and say they have no 954's in inventory (?).

My local dealer may yet get some of my coin. The local Suzuki guy is way more accomodating for better or worse.
Dammit muab don't do it!!!!!!!! :nono: Don't buy a friggin suzuki! Keep looking and you'll find your 954 and it will all be worth it. Trust me, I have faith in you!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lol :rotfl:

I don't know man, that godawful yellow is growing on me.

And god knows I have a childish weakness for wheelies...

:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well, this local 03 954 is the only one I have found on a california dealer's floor so far. Stiil-New ones may be getting scarce. I suppose my local dealer will try to pound me down with that reality.
Anyone have any other cali dealers in mind?
:idunno:

·
Registered
712 Posts
muab said:
Lol :rotfl:

I don't know man, that godawful yellow is growing on me.

And god knows I have a childish weakness for wheelies...

:D
Did you say wheelies?!?! Well, although I'd NEVER DO ONE :rolleyes: or even think about posting about one with any type of a positive connotation, I happen to know that if I did TRY one, the 954 is a perfect bike for it an can easily balance and go for well over a mile. :smilebig:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
There are dealers that will ship too, but I'm not sure how far. One that I've heard of is in Ohio. I think it's called Honda East. Also give Hondadirectline.com a try. They may not list it on thier site, but call the number and ask them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts